Tamale Pie! Get Some!

Greetings Dopers,
As per a request in this thread,http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=737117 I decided to start one!

For those of you who have never had this wonderful dish, it is no way authentic Mexican cuisine but Dayym is it tasty!

Mine is a derivative of the dish served in Banff at the Magpie and Stump.

2 lbs ground beef
2 roasted serrano chiles, chopped
1/2 med chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped fine
Generous dollop of Cholula or Tabasco Chipotle

Corn bread:
1 c. cornmeal (I often use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 c. Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp Demerara sugar
1 egg
1c. milk
1/4 c. melted butter or oil
1 seeded and finely chopped red jalapeno

Fry up beef until nearly done then add veg and sauce until onions are starting to go brown. I like to fry this mixture up in about a Tbsp of bacon fat. I’ve also used 50/50 ground pork/beef to good effect. Place in bottom of a 9" round, deep baking dish.

Add corn meal to milk and let sit 10 minutes, mix all other dry ingredients together including jalapeno in another bowl and stir into corn meal and milk mixture. Gently beat egg and butter together and add to bowl. Once well mixed add to top of ground beef.

Cook at 400 for approx 30 minutes until “bread” is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

Top with crema or Greek yogurt, devour and go for seconds.

I like mine with a nice Modelo Negro.

Tamale pie from… Banff. And I thought “New England Chili Cookoff” was funny.

(The winner tasted like minestrone…)

Hey, that was MY request! So I guess I have to pony up the one I call tamale pie. It’s pretty much identical to the one my mom used to make, but the one in our home cookbook was Brailled by kaylasmom in 1980, as dictated by the host of a cooking show on the radio.

But since it is in Braille, I’m going to have to pull the cookbook and post it later. Hold tight.

:slight_smile:

Do you think all we eat is maple syrup and Beaver tails, AB? :smiley:

Oo, I forgot I usually add about a tsp each of cumin, and oregano at the end of the fry up on the meat. and s & p.

I dunno, man. Several months ago I tried the Cheeseburger Pie from the normally reliable “South Your Mouth” website, which sounds suspiciously similar. Never again.

On the other hand, please post your recipe for Maple Syrup and Beaver Tails!

I make a tamale casserole which is similar, except I prefer to use chorizo instead of ground beef.

No thanks. Tamale Pie was one of my childhood nightmare foods, during the years I lived with my grandmother. Tamale Pie, Breaded Veal Cutlets, Meatloaf with (burnt) tomato paste on top, all potentially perfectly decent food, but not with grandmother’s cooking skills. I still won’t eat veal to this day, and will only eat meatloaf I make myself. I love tamales, pretty much any variety, but I’ll pass on the Tamale Pie, though I’m sure your recipe is a thousand times better than my childhood nightmare. (No wonder I was such a skinny kid.)

See, to me, tamale pie is ‘lazy food’. So I don’t make it from scratch. I just use taco seasoning out of a packet. :stuck_out_tongue: (I do make the cornbread batter, though – no sugar.)

For me, tamale pie is a childhood comfort food. FWIW, we had leftover Shake’n’Bake pork chops for dinner (with Tiger Sauce on top), some spinach out of a can and, for the first time in I-don’t-know-how-many years, I made corn fritters.

I love tamale pie, and haven’t made it in eons. Thanks for the inspiration!

Needs more peppers. And more onion. And some cheese. The chorizo is a good call as well. Maybe some more garlic.

Otherwise, spot on!

Easy Peasy.

Silenus, I concur but I have to make it for SWMBO and she doesn’t like too spicy. I may try the chorizo and I have topped it with queso fresco in the past.

I have yet to come across any chorizo that is too spicy. I usually add cayenne to it when I cook it.

None of it is too spicy to eat, but good lord don’t put your head over the steam when you’re frying it. It’s like getting hit with a little bit of defensive pepper spray.

Tamale pie…hmm…it’s not evil, but I don’t crave it. My mom made it a lot when I was a kid, so maybe familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe I’ll make a little batch to see if it’s improved with age.

I always thought it was just a Frito pie with cornbread instead. But I don’t see any tomatoes or beans in this recipe.

And more beef. And more cornbread.

You know what? Just make a second pie.

Weird… the “tamale pie” I grew up with was basically something somewhere between classic King Ranch Chicken and New Mexico style stacked enchiladas. (which makes sense, considering my grandparents lived in NM for a long time, then moved to Texas).

I haven’t made it in eons, but my version is similar, except a bit saucier, with some crushed tomatoes, Rotel or plain tomato sauce, along with some Tex-Mex spicing.

That is a great starter recipe. Lots of variation on the filling and you can even pour pancake batter (I put Italian seasoning in the batter) instead of the cornbread.

Since I can’t be bothered with actual recipes, here’s what I did:

Browned a pound of ground beef, sauteed a large onion, chopped. Mixed that with a can of black beans (drained, rinsed), a can of creamed corn (didn’t have just canned corn), a can of diced tomatoes (drained), and a can of chopped jalapenos (drained). Seasoned with a lot of chili powder, some extra cumin, salt. Topped with Jiffy brand corn bread mix, made according to the box instructions (egg and 1/3 cup milk).

Put it in the oven at 350 for about an hour.

Pretty yummy. Purists will say the cornbread was too sweet, but it made a nice contrast to the spicy meat mix.

Nice. I like the idea of the tomatoes and beans, I may have to try that as well. I was referring to the extra peppers, Johnny LA, SWMBO has no issue with chorizo. She hates beans and tomatoes (unless they are made into something like sauce or ketchup)… If I was making it for me alone the jalapenos/serranos would be swapped for a habanero or scotch bonnet or two and maybe a few ancho or poblano peppers for flavour…