Tamale pie

I suppose you can call it chili cornbread casserole, but tamale pie is nicer and, at least to me, pretty much what I would expect a dish named that way to be, or at least one of a couple possibilities.

Meh. Just bein’ provincial. In south Texas, such dishes are called “chili pie,” or “Frito pie” when topped with corn chips.

Tamal, please, not tamale. One tamal, two tamales.

Mighty Girl
League of Bilingual Pedants

No, a Frito pie is made by ladling chili into a slightly crushed open individual-size bag of Fritos and squishing it around a bit. I learned about their existence from Andy’s Chili at MIT, but I’m sure they exist elsewhere.

That’s what tamle pie is.

Frito pies were called ‘pepper bellies’ at the high school snack window in the late-'70s. The chips weren’t crushed at all, and the chili wasn’t mixed. Open bag, put in a ladle of chili, put in some shredded cheese, and top with chopped onions.

Another candidate.

That is a staple at every concession stand for any youth sport in the mid-west (probably not limited just there) and called a Walking Taco for some odd reason.

They’re called ‘walking tacos’ because you can eat them while you walk, unlike an actual taco that you… Wait a minute… :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

As for distribution, I think they’re available in most places. Lunchables makes a version you can get at the store. I saw one last Saturday.

‘Frito pie’ and ‘walking taco’ seem to be pretty widespread. The only place I’ve heard them called ‘pepper bellies’ is in the Antelope Valley area of the Mojave Desert.

ATK has a tamale pie recipe that is actually worth eating, but even their recipe isn’t pretty. I think tamale pie doesn’t do a good job of describing the dish. It would better be called cornbread casserole.

I used your mom’s recipe other than soaking cornmeal in milk (I have a lactose intolerant son… so I used Jiffy Cornbread Muffin mix with water instead) and my family liked it. I did put the cheese on top because if the boy can manage to take his pills and eat cheese pizzas he could either scoop out some of the casserole sans cheese or take a couple of his pills.

Toppings of green sauce, taco sauce or sour cream helped moisten the casserole up.

It wasn’t as good as the homemade tamales the church ladies sell but it was good. It’s going into my “once in a while” recipe list. Right next to lasagna, fried liver, and enchiladas.