Tangled ropes and cables

I did most of my Flemish Coils in my 20s into by 30s. Now I’m 60, my knees are not really up for it.

BTW: the coiling was for Wooden Sailboats, not the Navy. Mostly the Sloop Clearwater, but also a few others.

For longer lines, like docking lines, the over-under method works well.

But damned if I make a regular habit of it.

I never used the over-under method.

You sail that?

Handsome.

I did it for the 3/8" dock lines on my small boats because they never really had to get unrolled and they made the other sailors (who struggled with a proper cleat hitch) jealous. I don’t have the patience for anything much larger than that. But this dude on the Yorktown did it on every port visit with friggin’ hawsers!

Only for 1 full week and about 20 other sails spread out over 20+ years.
I mostly sailed a Tuckerton Bay Garvey & a small Skipjack.

Here are the Rainbow Race and Clearwater together. I was sailing both boats that weekend. The top pic is Arlo Guthrie & wife. I was free help on the stage and as a roadie that weekend. The Rainbow Race was tied up to the Clearwater at Southside Seaport.

Young me on top of that tall mast of the Clearwater & then The Adam Hyler, I sailed from 1989 to 2014 and helped maintain or ran the spring fit-out for about 20 years.
.

So gaff rig schooners is your thing.

Classics.

My experience is much less interesting. It’s mostly 23’-50’ foot modern glass sloops. The bigger ones bareboat charters.

I hate to correct you, and I may be wrong, but that sure looks like Arlo and Toshi Seeger (Pete’s wife)

I’m sure you’re right. Though I don’t think Pete was around that day, but it was a Clearwater Pumpkin Festival, so makes sense Toshi Seeger was there. That was also over at the Christopher St. Pier I think. So maybe Pete was over at South St.

I help Arlo and some Shanty singers and Folk Singers with the stage stuff and humping equipment around. I don’t remember talking to Toshi. That picture is from the mid-90s. So around 30 years ago.

I volunteered on Clearwater in the early 90s a couple times too, but it was all end of season maintenance work in Poughkeepsie - I never got to do a sail and never got to meet Pete or Toshi. But I remember everyone made me feel like family.

My winter work was up at Saugerties. But only 3 days over 3 years.

Over the last couple of years I have spent some time in hospitals. I have observed that whenever someone wants to apply a dozen sticky pads and plug me into their machine, the leads are invariably entangled.

After, some will simply shove them into whatever receptacle is provided, but most do try to arrange them neatly. Either way, they are always in knots when they are next used.

What a gauche thing to say.

(From one lefty to another)

For most ropes, I always did this:

That said, it would be a mistake to do that with a lariat.

I had a pulmonary embolism last year. They put all the leads on my chest and fed it into a device that sent the readings by wifi. The sending unit was a mess, but I put it in my vest pocket where I usually carry my cell phone and I barely even noticed it.

You must understand that garden hose wants to tangle itself into knots, run roughshod over plantings and crush them, and trip up gardeners. There’s an obvious reason, made clear to me over the years.

Hose is evil.

When finally extended, the hose will have at least two sections pinch shut back toward the faucet. Those kinks removed, the hose will now wedge itself under a tire.

Yeah, I forgot to mention intentional kinking as part of Hose Evil, along with metal connections between lengths of hose that seize up and can’t be unfastened.

Hose is commonly sold by home improvement stores in separate categories: Economy Evil, Moderate Duty Evil and Ha! Ha! You paid extra for this???

I used to employ all the wrong ways of gathering up extension cords, hoses, ropes, etc. Then many years ago I got a job that required me to use cables stored by long before employed technical types. I was then taught and then only somewhat less than forced to follow their method of storing cables.

I’m glad I did. It was what has been called here the ‘over and under’ method. I’ve been using it ever since.

There’s nothing else like an abused extension cord that has all the internal wires twisted around inside the outer cover. Those kind of cables can’t be coiled up in any way that makes it better.

The over/under method prevents this internal wire twisting. You can step on one end of an always over/under coiled long extension cord, hold the other end and throw the entire remaining coil of wire out and away and there will be no knots of snags to deal with.

It’s the only way.

I’ve got an electric leaf blower with a 100’ extension cord. I over/under coil this cord and keep it in an empty 5 gallon bucket. I can plug in one end of the cord, tip the bucket on it’s side and after plugging the other end of the cord into the leaf blower, go any where I want with the leaf blower with out worrying about the cord. It just sorts itself out without me having to worry about it.

Learn it! Use it! Maybe even get rid of all your old and twisted up extension cords and buy some new ones and ALWAYS employ the over/under method.

Yeah, I like this method. A LOT!

And when you take them out. Grab the wrong section when taking them out, and you’re pulling cords through loops of other cord.