When you put two loosely coiled lengths of rope or cable in a cupboard they are invariably tangled when you come to retrieve them.
Where does the energy for this entanglement come from and could it be harnessed in some way?
When you put two loosely coiled lengths of rope or cable in a cupboard they are invariably tangled when you come to retrieve them.
Where does the energy for this entanglement come from and could it be harnessed in some way?
Sailors & Electricians know how to wrap and hank and don’t run into this issue usually. I was both, so very rare issue for me.
As to the cause of the tangling, I leave that to those that can explain it better. Though Gremlins, Underwear Gnomes, Heffalumps and other mischievous sprites might be your answer.
More likely someone else coming by after the storage and shifting things around.
It happens at the quantum level.
We’ve got our top people working on it.
The energy is put into the elastic ropes and cables by yourself when you put (and squeeze) them into a box or drawer.
And, here’s what they found:
https://www.iflscience.com/this-is-why-your-cables-keep-getting-tangled-76627
Well, this study assumed that the boxes with strings or cables got moved, which puts additional energy/movement to the system. I understood the OP to mean stacking cables in a box and then leaving them alone, only to end up tangled anyway.
I have a theory, borne from many frustrating instances of trying to roll up garden hose in orderly loop fashion-- the hose has often gotten twisted around in regular use, and like a coiled spring, it holds potential kinetic energy and wants to untwist itself. So when I’m trying to loop it, it fights me and tries to uncoil and twist itself into unruly tangles, unless I carefully un-twist as I’m looping.
Anybody who thinks tangled ropes and cables (and garden hoses) are frustrating, try untangling fishing line. It is a frustration compared to which the very labors of Sisyphus are mere child’s play. Many times when I’ve gone fishing, I’ve spent more time untangling than actual fishing. Why not just cut the line and move on, you may wonder? Because I’ve already cut the line so many times I barely have enough casting line as it is, when I should have replaced the line months ago already, alright?
Assuming they are different colors or materials, it’s easy enough to avoid grabbing and pulling a couple loops from each coil.
It’s also very beneficial to make it very obvious which is on top and which is on bottom when you put them away. And to remove the top one first, rather than trying to pull the bottom one through the top one.
Bottom lines: Tangles come directly from careless removal which can be made more likely by careless storage. Don’t do that.
The answer is clearly “entropy”. The universe favors chaos.
With Christmas tree lights, the energy comes from the electricity left in the wires. The ends just kind of whip around in the box until they’re completely spent.
Obviously, “spooky action at a distance”.
This is what the Elf on the Shelf is doing the rest of the year.
Pro tip: short the two prongs on the plug after unplugging it from the receptacle. This will quickly dissipate the energy of the electrons, resulting in perfect coiling and no tangling.
As a sailor, my personal theory is that most braided rope is laid left handed and most people are right handed. The mainsheet on 2 of my sailboats I am certain ties itself into overhand knots when I’m not looking. However, as @What_Exit rightly points out, experienced professionals wrap and hank - that is they coil loops in alternate directions, which largely counters this natural inclination.
Come to think of it, I’m also quite sinister. I mean, I’m left-handed.
Rookies coming aboard will coil a line by wrapping it around their arm, hand to elbow.
Makes me slappy.
Likewise. I’ve been known to put such offenders on anchor detail so they have to untangle it themselves.
There is a way for that to work. But you need enough room to stretch the line out straight first so as you wrap, you are removing the curliness. It is quick for those that seem to have issues matching loop sizes.
The ultimate trick is the Flemish coil. Long, heavy lines ready for use and looks very professional also. But not true storage.
I usually prefer flaking long heavy lines (laying them out parallel with crossed loops at each end). Flemish coils are a pain in the ass to do quickly.
ETA: I knew a BM1 on the Yorktown who could do it one handed though.
In junior high school or maybe high school, we had a field trip on a science vessel on Long Island Sound. I distinctly remember being taught how to put away the ropes and lines. I think the idea was to do so in a way to follow the coil in the rope so it wouldn’t twist on its own.