Tasting new beers

Oh. Then no, I can’t recommend one.

Milwaukee Pils by Sprecher.
It’s one of the very few beers left that is fire brewed.

Strohs was a really decent beer back in the day when it was still fire brewed. Was one of the best macros at the time.

Real Ale’s Sisyphus is quite nice, but I prefer it (and all barleywines) to be 5-6 years old or so. That’s when they get into their stride. It really benefits from sitting in the bottle and letting the yeast do its work. Around 2013 I found a bunch of Sisyphus from 2008 in a local liquor store. They’d just leave beer on the shelf until it sold, and I thank them for that. It took me about a year and a half to work through their backstock of Sisyphus, and I was sad when I realized I was getting to the end of the 2008 vintage. I need to just buy the next set of it (and any other barleywine I find) and let it sit at room temperature for a few years before I sample it. Fresh barleywine is good, but it’s not the best of it.

Haven’t seen Cigar City mentioned. Was enjoying some of their IPAs last night, including Florida Man, named for the least appreciated super hero.

I just tried a couple of American Imperial stouts from Evil Twin Brewing.
The first was Even More Jesus-As black as tar, slightly less thicker than molasses, with a tremendously rich flavor…and at 12% abv it really put the hurt on.
The second was Bozo Beer, which added the magical ingredient “Ever-So-Much-More-So” (unofficial no-prize to whoever gets that reference) to the previous brew and, at 17.2% abv, made the previous hurt go away.

Today at lunch I had a Hofbrahaus Oktoberfest Beer from Hofbräu München. It was in a full liter mug and very tasty. Excellent with the pub burger I had.

I think this is its page: https://www.hofbraeu-muenchen.de/en/beer/hofbrau-oktoberfestbier

Enjoying a Adult Icarus which is a collaboration by Ingenious Brewing Company (Houston, Texas area) and Turning Point Beer (Dallas area). It’s a “quadruple IPA” which hides it’s 12.5% ABV very well. Sticky sweet with lots of citrus hops. Works for me!

Don’t forget there’s an unrelated Czech Budweiser

Been traveling the past few weeks; I now have an assorted collection of Clown Shoes & a 4pk of Alchemist’s Heady Topper, & this weekend came home with some Common Roots Good Fortune & Fritzi. The only thing I’ve had time to drink recently was a Yuengling Reading Eagle (mango).

No flying Sat morning means I’ll actually be able to drink something on Fri nite.

Ninkasi is over the place in Northern Nevada, same with Hop Valley but they’re Coors or something now.

For Deschutes, Red Chair is also everywhere but I think seasonal? I don’t recall ever seeing Cinder Cone.

For OP, Oktoberfest season so I try those when I can.

Their Jubelale was their seasonal and I’ve not seen it since moving East. OTOH, Sierra Nevada Celebration is wildly popular here.

I’m late to the party, but I read your first sentence and was going to say, oh, have I got the beer for you! And then I landed on your last sentence and see you’ve discovered New Glarus’s fruit beers. If you can, also try their Belgian Red (made with Door County sour cherries–my favorite of the New Glarus fruit beers) as well as their Serendipity (apples, cranberries, and sour cherries.) I’m not much a fruit beer fan, but those are all great and check your boxes.

I’m a big fan of sours, and I’m a big fan of things that are orange-flavored, so when I stopped in a bar the other night and saw a blood orange gose on the menu, I practically leaped over the bar to try it. I was not disappointed, I must say!

Yeah, but that’s not the one I see all over Europe. I see the U.S. version but I never see anyone drinking it. YTF would anyone drink Bud while in Europe?

Years ago we were touring around Ireland and I was consuming my fair share of Guinness. We went to a Bluegrass festival in Omagh, Northern Ireland. Naturally, there was Guinness on tap. (Interestingly, there were two taps. One was marked Extra Cold, which I guess was a newer thing.) The vast majority of people that were drinking beer, which is to say nearly everyone, were drinking Coors Light in bottles. I still don’t understand that one.

A few years ago, a friend introduced me to an outstanding beer: Hoegaarden. I think the brand makes several different kinds of beer. The one I tried was refreshingly light and lemony: perfect for hot weather.

So get it while the getting’s good!

It’s the #1 brand in the UK, believe it or not (but there are many brands to choose from, so the competition is really divided up. The top three are Budweiser, Stella, and Carling by users. With 3.5 milliion drinkers of Bud) I believe I’ve told the story that when I lived the UK in the late 90s, our kitchen staff drank Buds after the shift, much to my surprise and disappointment. I thought they were pranking me at first, as I was the only American, but, no, if they were pranking, they were playing the long game.

That said, when I live further east in Budapest, I don’t recall seeing much, if any, Bud around. For North American beers, Corona/Coronita was the popular brand.

Midnight Stack - Nitro Maple Pancake Milk Stout

I am a complete sucker for keyword spamming like this - dark beers, dessert flavours, big malts. I have to buy it. Midnight Stack was so good I went back and bought six more cans.

I have been all over Europe many, many times. I never see anyone drinking American beer.

And I have never seen anything except Bud being sold. Never saw Coors Light. Can’t believe any continentals would drink it. It’s like making love in a canoe.

I can’t come close to keeping track of all the names. Every watering hole I inhabit has an entirely different list of names/beers than any other one. My buds know the kind of beer I like, so I will ask for recommendations if I’m not sure. Sometimes I’ll ask the server. “I like pale ales. Do you have any or, if not, can you recommend something along those lines?” That gets me by.

My favorite place, however, has a beer they brew for October Fest and keep on the menu until winter. It’s called, Wasserwolf Jäger. Real good!

Maybe because it was an American style of music festival, they figured they’d appreciate more by drinking American beer? Moonshine would have been more appropriate.

BTW, the bluegrass bands were from all over Europe and were excellent. I didn’t know that kind of music had international appeal. Some of those good ol’ boys had the Appalachian accent (or whatever you want to call it) down pat.