Tasty Non-Dairy Desserts

I’ll echo and expand on Shoshana’s post above.

Jews who observe the laws of kashrut (dietary laws) do not eat dairy products (or anything that’s come in contact with dairy or dairy-derivatives) for a period of time after consuming meat. This means that there are a wealth of non-dairy desserts in most kosher cookbooks.

Also, if you are looking for packaged desserts, check for kosher supervision marks that do not say “Dairy” or “D” next to them. In particular, if you see the word “Pareve” (or some minor spelling variant), which means “neither meat nor dairy”, you can be quite sure that there is absolutely no dairy in it (it may have eggs). Some kosher certification marks simply omit the word “pareve,” so the unadorned mark implies “pareve.”

Many “non-dairy” foods, like soy cheese and Cool-Whip, may contain milk proteins like casein. If that’s what he’s allergic to, be careful.

I’ll also add that major brands of fillo dough and frozen puff pastry (which makes really easy desserts) are pareve. Here’s a quickie recipe with frozen puff pastry that makes a good appetizer, but with more sugar makes a great dessert:

Tomato tart

1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
vegetable oil
1 or 2 tomatoes, sliced very thin
sugar
herbs to taste

Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to half its original thickness. Brush with oil. Layer the tomato slices to cover the dough, leaving a little margin (like a pizza crust). Sprinkle very lightly with sugar and herbs for an appetizer, more sugar to taste for dessert (and use “sweet” herbs like tarragon or basil). Bake as directed on the puff pastry package.

Sounds weird to have tomatoes for dessert, but trust me.

-Rick

I am also have a dairy aversion, although mine is more intestinal than making my face break out.

Anyway, here is a list of lactose free desserts that I eat and enjoy:

Double chocolate cake recipe on the hersey’s cocoa can
Angelfood cake
Chocolate chip cookies made with FMV brand chocolate flavored chips
Any cookies made with butter flavor crisco instead of butter
Sorbet
Junior Mints
Nutter butters
Golden Oreos
Viena fingers
Ore-uh-ohs (white cookies with chocolate middle)
Pie

I just want to say I’m glad I found this thread - BabyStainz is turning one in the fall and I’ve been hoping to come across a recipe for milk-free, egg-free cake for her party. The chocolate one from DVLP sounds like it will do the trick nicely!

(I’m worried about food allergies so plan to avoid egg whites and milk for a while longer).