Tasty Non-Dairy Desserts

My SO is allergic to milk and milk products. Its usually not a problem when I cook for him. I use more margarine and think about what I put into what I’m making a little more carefully. No more delicious cheesiness and the like. The one area that has really stumped me is dessert-type foods. Pretty much all of the yummy after dinner things that I know of have milk or cream or something in them.

Anyone have any yummy recipes that exclude the dreaded moo-juice?

Sorbet. Good dark chocolate. Most pie. There are lots of fruit-based desserts that have no dairy in them.

You might want to look on some vegan recipe sites. I know a lot of people have had a lot of success making cheesecake with silken tofu.

My wife has a recipe somewhere for a lemon-blueberry cake that is made with tofu. No milk or dairy in it. Perfectly suitable for the vegans in our family, and pretty darn tasty to us omnivores too!

Chocolate doesn’t have to have milk in it. :wink:

I could dig out my baklawa recipe (lebanese baklava) later, but first let me recommend The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network at http://www.foodallergy.org/

Oooh! Cool site!

Here is a well-timed thread with some vegan cake recipes: http://community.livejournal.com/vegetarian/3320242.html

Is he so allergic he can’t eat cookies?
Try cutting an orange into eighths and then fanning them out around a central point that you load up with halvah. I ate this a lot in Israel when the dessert couldn’t have dairy in it. In fact, you may want to look at a kosher cookbook for dairy-free recipies.

I’m really not sure. I know it isn’t bad enough to kill him or even make his tongue swell or anything like that (but apparently his mom’s allergy is :eek: ).

I’ve actually seen him eat stuff with dairy in it before, he just really tries not to. All he says is that it makes him break out, but I think there’s other consequences he won’t admit to.

…And now recently I’m trying to be more thoughtful when it comes to this, like keeping food in my apartment that he can eat, thus the thread.

Very nice of you!

I have no problem eating dairy and eggs, but this is still the only cake I ever make. It’s moist, delicious, and soooo easy. It has been a big hit at potlucks with other omnivores. Nobody can ever tell it’s vegan.

VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
1.5 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. white sugar
3 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tb distilled white vinegar
1 c. COLD water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease & flour one 8-inch square or round cake pan.
  2. Sift together* the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Mix together until smooth.
  3. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out just clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

You could frost it, but you don’t need to. Its yummy enough on its own or with a dusting of powdered sugar. I also use this recipe for cupcakes, making sure to keep an eye on the cooking time.

This cake also easily lends itself to variations. I throw in some cold espresso to substitute for part of the water, or add some spices. Though I’ve never tried it, maybe you could omit the cocoa to make a white cake?

*I often don’t bother sifting. You can even make this directly in the pan. Just make sure the dry ingredients are all combined well before adding the wet.

IANAD and I’m sure he knows what he’s doing and etc. but just for general info - it’s not impossible that repeated small exposures can actually make a food allergy worse. So while he’s doing ok, slipping him a cookie with milk protiens could be fine one day but the next time cause anaphylaxis (this my kids doctor explained about nuts, and I am assuming that it’s the same with milk). So it’s good that you care. He probably knows enough to keep his exposure down, but assuming that just a little is ok can be bad.

A milk allergy is not in any way like lactose intolerance (as you know, but just for general info). If someone gets kinda bloated and smelly when they drink milk, they are intolerant and NOT allergic. See FAAN

And I still haven’t found the baklawa recipe, I’ll get it eventually. Gotta find out if there is milk in filo dough… Don’t think so, but I’ll check first. Lot’s of nuts and sugar in baklawa, and a hint of rose water (which make it 1000X better than the honey in baklava, imnsho)

Double post, but I found one online and replace “butter” with “margarine”

2 cups of med. chopped pecans (and/or walnuts)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp rose water
1 lb filo dough
1 lb margarine
1 basic (simple) syrup recipe (2 cups sugar - 1 cup water - few drops of lemon juice - 1 tsp rose water - boiled to syrup) - look this one up, I think I boil to 220 degrees or something and add the rose water AFTER boiling so it doesn’t boil off.

Combine nuts, sugar and rose water. Filo dough may be spread in a margarined 10 x 14 inch pan, brushing each layer with margarine. Half way through the layering, place nut mixture in 1/2 to 3/4 inch layer.

Continue layering margarine filo on top. Cut in diamond shaped pieces. Bake at 300 degrees for one hour, or until golden brown. Pour syrup over baklawa, making sure the dough is well saturated.

Don’t forget about Cool Whip (and the like). Check the labels, but I am pretty sure the normal kind - not the “extra creamy” - is a “non-dairy dessert topping,” as are many of the spray-can varieties. That can help replace the creaminess you’re missing. A great dessert is simply fresh fruit with a dollop of the stuff on top.

One of my favorite desserts: Thai sticky rice.

Halvah is another excellent dessert that comes in non-dairy varieties. The linked recipe just uses sugar, water, and tahini.

Another double-post, but I thought this website might be of help. Dr. Andrew Weil is kind of a diet/health guru, and I’ve found his recipes to be, on the whole, quite tasty and very healthy. Most of them avoid dairy. I particularly like the carrot cake made into muffins - an indulgent breakfast.

Also as far as I know, you can usually simply substitute soy milk for dairy milk in recipes. It won’t whip up like cow’s milk, but the creaminess and richness is there, and it tends to be slightly sweeter than regular milk.

Tofutti and other soy-based ice cream substitutes. I very recently read a review, and I can’t remember where (may have been Good Housekeeping magazine?) comparing several brands of alternatives to regular ice cream… including one made from goat’s milk (rated quite low) and one made from rice (Rice Dream). Tofutti came out OK in the rating but another brand was ranked higher. Tofutti does make “Tofutti Cuties” which are “ice cream” sandwiches that are dairy free; my kids love them.

Sorbet is good, sherbet is not (I didn’t realize it usually has some milk until fairly recently).

Pie is good if the crust is dairy free. Well, pie is always good :wink: but you know what I mean. The Mori Nu website (maker of silken tofu) has a decent recipe for tofu-based pumpkin pie (replaces the egg and the milk); we make that for my son every Thanksgiving. Not as good as the real thing, the tofu gives it an odd tang, but my kid likes it. The website has other options also.

There are also soy-based cheese substitutes - I know you were asking about desserts, but don’t grab some soy cheese for your fellow thinking you’re doing him a favor, without reading the label very carefully. Apparently all the “slices” have casein - which is a milk protein - because it makes it meltable. Defeats the purpose, IMO, why go for fake cheese if you are going to eat the dairy (casein) anyway. Maybe it’s a lactose thing. Anyway, we get a cream cheese substitute by Tofutti (Soya Kaas is another label but it contains casein).

Most margarines contain some casein or whey also. You have to read labels carefully - that’d be an issue if you’re using them in baking or whatever.

First thing that came to my mind was Alton Brown’s apple streusel recipe; just substitute margarine for the butter, and you should be golden. And holy cow, is it good.

Pie crust can do very nicely without milk products. I make my home made piecrusts with solid vegetable shortening. Lard makes an even better crust, but is even trickier to handle.

Obviously, most fruit fillings do not require adding anything except maybe sugar and/or spices to taste. Some recipes suggest putting dots of butter on top of the fruit, but margarine works just fine.

Oooh! Just thought of another one: Angel food cake. Cake flour + sugar + egg whites + almost/vanilla extracts.