[QUOTE=Big Bad Voodoo Lou]
My roommate is a tequila snob, and he said Cuervo is worthless for drinking, and only worthy for making sauces and marinades. He swears by Cabo Wabo (endorsed by rocker Sammy Hagar) and Patron, both of which are higher-end tequilas. Apparently if you go cheap on tequila, you’ll get really nasty, painful hangovers.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with the last part, but your roommate, while he has the right idea, is drinking the wrong tequila.
My last job before this one was in a tequila bar. At that job I learned that price is indeed a good indicator of quality, but there are many brand-names (notoriously those exact two that you mentioned!) which inconsistent in quality but quite consistently overpriced. I have found that most of the tequilas worth that kind of money are a little harder to find.
As to the OP, here are some rules that I follow in tequila-drinking:
1) Stay away from Cuervo.
Really. They make only one decent tequila, and I promise you you can’t afford it.
2) Stay away from anything which includes the word “GOLD” in its name.
This basically means they have added caramel coloring and additives to the tequila to make it appear aged. To you this means bad taste, and a horrible headache.
3) Buy 100% El Agave tequila whenever possible.
This is not a brand of tequila; it indicates what is in it. This ensures your tequila is distilled properly and not full of additives that do nothing for flavor or sensation.
4) Use fresh-squeezed lime juice (as opposed to a pre-packaged mix) whenever possible.
I cannot tell you how much this will improve the flavor of your margaritas. Fresh limes beat the HELL out of sugary mixes and concentrates for both healthiness and flavor.
5) Do not use Anejo tequila for margaritas or shots.
Anejo tequila is not made for gulping; it’s aged so long that it takes on an oakiness and strength of flavor very much like a bourbon. Besides that, most of it worth buying is too expensive for margarita-making. Stick with Silver and Reposado (my favorite).
As for an exact recipe, those can vary. I usually eyeball it: I put about a shot of tequila (more if you really like to taste it), a shot of orange liqeuer (Cointreau is my personal favorite), and then fill up the glass with equal parts lime juice and simple syrup. Salt if you wish.
I don’t know if you’re looking for particular brands, but some of my favorites are as follows, from cheap to expensive: Sauza Hornitos, Milagro, Buscadores, Corralejo, Corazon, Espolon (absolute favorite), and El Tesoro.
Hope this is helpful; have fun 