Teen loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/teen-has-stomach-removed-after-drinking-liquid-nitrogen-cocktail/story-fnd134gw-1226491688124 (if link doesn’t work, search for “gaby scanlon”)

Can’t they fix a perforated stomach?

Non-mobile url.

Might have been bad enough that there was no time to try to patch multiple tears in the stomach. She won’t have trouble maintaining her figure after this.

According to this:

Is this a new drink fad of which I’d been uninformed previously? I’d assumed “science class mishap” or at most “drink-spiking asshole”, not “yeah, we totally do that, but we’ll stop now”.

This story says that it was a ‘correctly prepared’ cocktail.

I pictured the girl gulping down a shot of liquid nitrogen, but there’s something else going here.

Strange artice for a Heinz “Bust Out The Beanz” ad to appear in.

Quote from the article:
Oscar’s wine bar, sent their “heartfelt best wishes” to Ms Scanlon and her family “at this distressing time”.

The Daily Mail reported that Oscar’s had recently promoted a cocktail called the “Pornstar Martini”, containing liquid nitrogen and champagne, for nine pounds ($14). End quote.

‘Heartfelt best wishes’ just sounds a tad too chirpy for this situation. Lawsuit coming!

What they did with mine was to take it out of the plumbing loop. My surgeon said he did a modified Roux En Y. As I understand it, the Roux En Y normally leaves a pouch, but with mine the esophagus goes straight into the small intestine. (Great fun when I get an upper GI and the tech isn’t expecting it.)

Still, the stomach is in there somewhere - the surgeon said it still provides some important chemicals - for instance gastric protease and intrinsic factor both aid in the absorption of B12. (I still need B12 supplements.)

A perforated stomach is a horribly painful thing, I was begging god to take me home.

Also, you’re meant to drink the liquid nitrogen before it boils away? For flaming cocktails I thought you’d extinguish them before drinking. It doesn’t seem smart to drink something that will expand 900 times.

That appears to be the problem. You shouldn’t ingest it while it’s still in liguid form. I could see a bubble of ice forming that holds some liguid nitrogen still in it. I’m not really seeing the point of doing this at all anyway. Why don’t people just drink vodka the way the universe intended?

I imagine it looks pretty spectacular as the liquid nitrogen boils off and condenses all the water vapour. Just the kind of drink you’d buy a mate on their birthday in fact…

From a link within your link to the Darwin Awards website:

How does one even drink a mixture of liquid nitrogen and alcohol/water? Pure ethanol does have a pretty low freezing point (but it rises as concentration falls), but liquid nitrogen is even colder. Never mind the effect on mouth and throat tissues before you even swallow it (if you’ve ever touched dry ice you’d know what I mean, and mouth tissue is no doubt more delicate); the leidenfrost effect may provide some protection but not for long.

My WAG is on the drink forming an encasing ice bubble around some of the liquid nitrogen, which lasted until it got down into the stomach, then released the liquid nitrogen.

My husband had something similar happen to him but, fortunately, it was “only” a small amount of dry ice rather than liquid nitrogen. We were at a Halloween party in college where the party hosts used small chunks of dry ice in their punch. My husband (boyfriend at the time) says that he swallowed a small piece of ice in his drink. Shortly thereafter he was heaving his guts out, and continued to dry heave through much of the night. He didn’t drink that much in terms of alcohol content, and shouldn’t have been that ill. Between that behavior and finding a small scar inside his stomach wall during an endoscopy a few years later (checking for an ulcer), we think he swallowed dry ice encased in regular ice made out of the beverage. The regular ice melted away when it got to the stomach and the dry ice rapidly turned into tons of CO2, which by expanding in his stomach made him vomit repeatedly and generally feel awful.

It’s a new foodie fad as well - or not so new, it’s been going on for over a decade. The way liquid nitrogen gets used in cooking shows, you’d think it’s some sort of Mahvelous Not Really Dahngewous thing; some of the cooks look more careful when handling the dry ice - dry ice rates baking gloves, liquid nitrogen doesn’t. They have the liquid nitrogen in an aluminum pot with a baquelite handle (with no mention of how come they’re using an aluminum pot rather than the fancy cookware which is one of their advertisers) with only a drop line at the end that “this has to be handled carefully, it could do to your hands what it just did to the food”. The pot has got something white on it, but people who didn’t know better have confused the white stuff for lime residue (whitescale) - the cook never mentions it’s ice.

So basically drinking something 200 degrees below room temperature is about as dangerous as drinking something 200 degrees above.

Oh great. Now we’ll be having people doing this to control their weight.

They already do.

I knew a guy who used liquid nitrogen to make ice cream. Well, liquid nitrogen and liquor. It was pretty good, but I recall that it may have involved a lot of stirring, which presumably helped to break up any nitrogen ice bubbles.

It’s a common enough trick, it’s how Heston Blumenthal makes his scrambled egg and bacon ice cream. I’ve seen it done, but its advisable to wait long enough for the fog to clear, and all the LN2 to have boiled away.

The fact that people are treating cryogenic gases with the kind of care that they treat normal ice doesn’t surprise me, people have been huffing helium without regard for the safety implications for a long time.

I’m surprised that the HSE hasn’t come down on restaurants and bars that stock this stuff like a tonne of bricks considering the deaths due to an LN2 leak at a major medical research institute in 2000 (link). I seriously doubt this bar had oxygen level monitoring and warning systems in place and I very much doubt that the staff had training in what to do in the case of finding an unconscious colleague (hint: leave them and save yourself, unless you have SCBA at hand).

When I worked with LN2 I had to receive training on how to handle and transport the stuff without killing or injuring people.