telemarketer - automatic dialer

I’m on the do-not-call list. I also realize that I can still get calls from certain parties.

But for the past month I’ve been getting 3-5 calls per day from UNAVAILABLE/UNAVAILABLE. I’ve answered on maybe 3-4 occasions and have only heard mechanical silence. One time I stayed on for a minute or so hoping someone on the other end would pick up and start their spiel so that maybe the calls would end.

Does anyone know of a way to end these calls?

If they’re ignoring the do-not-call list and you’ve got no public information you may need to go to the FTC to get assistance in tracking them. Remember, while YOU may not have info on the inbound call your local or long-distance service WILL have access to that info.

Isn’t there is some combination of numbers (* something) you can press after mysterious calls to get them logged for tracing/review? Maybe I’m remembering this wrong.

Isn’t there is some combination of numbers (* something) you can press after mysterious calls to get them logged for tracing/review? Maybe I’m remembering this wrong.

*69 will tell you the last number that called your number as long as that number is listed.

• If you record the 3-note “this number is disconnected” tone and play that first in your “away” message, most automatic machines are set to log that number as discarded and drop it from their list. At the very least they won’t bother leaving the usual sales message. The only problem with this is, it’s the way that ALL of the automatic machines work. So if you do this, there is a good chance that you might miss calls you wanted to get as well.
        ~

Some telemarketing robot dialers are capable of detecting when your phone has been answered by an answering machine. If an answering machine is detected, they leave an advertising message; if a live person answers, the robot hangs up.