Telemarketing scam - anyone else fall victim?

Hello all.
I consider myself a pretty sharp cookie, but I found out thru the mail that I was suckered into a VoiceMail service without my permission.
Last week, a telemarketer called me. I usually just give the “no thank you” and hang up, but this person was from a company that claims that if I confirm my name, address, and phone number, they would remove my name from their “call” list. Hmmm. In the meantime , the person on the other end went into a spiel about the service and that I would receive the packet in the mail and my name would be removed from their system, blah, blah, blah. I could not understand half of what she was telling me because she was talking so fast. I asked her to repeat herself 3 times and insisted that I did not want any service. She switched me to the 3rd party verification, who I told I did not understand what was said and I was not interested. I was switched back and we went over the same damn stuff 3 times. I should have hung up long before I got to this point, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t signing myself up for a service I didn’t want.

Needless to say, in the mail on Saturday I got a packet for my new voicemail service, costing me 19.95 activation fee and 17.95 each month. I called and cancelled the service immediately. I had to deal with a cranky Customer Service rep who wanted to sell me more services. I better not see the activation fee in the mail!!
Anyone else have this problem? The company was VVMS in New Jersey.

Not so far, but I’m sure it’ll be coming soon. Thanks for the warning.

Here’s a link to an interesting article.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/in/press/10012002a.htm

Here is a portion of it.

GoInternet, a Delaware corporation headquartered in Philadelphia, operates under the names Mercury, Mercury Internet Services, MIS, Mercury Marketing, Mercury Long Distance, Mercury Wireless Services, and/or Venus Voice Mail Services. Neal D. Saferstein, owner, President, and Chief Executive Officer of GoInternet, is also named as a defendant.
From the general gist of the article. It seems that the company in question is run by a bunch of dirtbags. Allegedly.

They trade under a different name, listed here

http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?compid=P24000076&national=Y

The full name of the company was Venus Voice Mail Service. Looks like that’s them. Thanks for the info.