telephone numbers

Simply put, why don’t we use 8-digit phone numbers instead of creating new area codes? Except for a few awkward combinations and a few unusable numbers (like 0000-0000), we’d have 100,000,000 possibilities. A single area code would last a century, even in southern California, where we now have ELEVEN area codes and more on the way!! Supposedly, Pac Bell is hoarding numbers so other companies can’t compete, but that can’t last forever.

They have done this in Japan, at least in Tokyo. At what cost, I dunno, but it works perfectly fine.

Because it is easier for telephoine computers to react to a new area code (and not react to an old one) than to suddenly be programmed with 8-digit phone numbers.

As soon as we run out of area codes, it will happen though…

Yer pal,
Satan

Here is a great site explaining all you want to know. It is from the “King of Area Codes”

[b"]EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT PHONE NUMBERS AND AREA CODES BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK**

Here is a good sight

*** WHY NO 8 DIGIT PHONE NUMBERS?***
Return to his home page to find out all about area codes

Cecil on the proliferation of area codes:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_283.html

Sorry guys I had some computer problems for the answer to why no 8 digit phone numbers click on the phrase

Why no 8 digit phone numbers

On my second post

Thanks for the replies, especially Markxxx. I looked at the website you mentioned and it seems to me that it’s another case of “This is how we’ve always done it and changing things would just confuse people,” which is kind of bogus. The website describes all kinds of technological reasons for not adding another digit, but the real answer is the human resistance to change.