Tell Me About A Good Prescription Sleep Aid

As I have had bouts of insomnia lately that are messing my life up terribly, I think it’s time to go see the Dr about something prescribed to get me back on track. I take Paxil and Effexor, so that may have an influence on any prescribed sleeping pill.

Can anyone here tell me about the good and bad of these meds and how successful you were taking them?

I had a good expierence using Lunestra. I did have to get in the habit of going to bed at a decent hour and I had to keep the same sleep routine on the weekend as I did on weekdays otherwise it would be impossible to fall asleep on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I have been using Ambien (I think the actual name is something like Zolpidiem) which works quite well. Another one I’ve tried but don’t use (because my health care doesn’t cover it) is Lunestra (no idea what the actual name is). I found that Lunestra wasn’t as effective as Ambien in helping me get too sleep…but both work pretty well on helping me stay asleep once I get fall asleep (I have both a problem getting too sleep and staying asleep/getting back too sleep when I wake in the night).

-XT

I am not a physican, nor have I taken any prescription sleep aids, so you may want to dismiss this post. However, I have been experiencing sleep difficulities of late. Either I cannot get to sleep, or once asleep, I wake up at 2-4 am and am awake and cannot go back to sleep.

I consulted my physician about this and he recommended Benadryl, saying that it was actually the only thing that was out there that was non-addictive. (Hallgirl1’s bosses, the pharmacists, said basically the same thing.) One Benedryl lets me sleep long and deep enough that I stay asleep and aren’t “hung over” in the morning.

There is also a tea that I got a Wegmans (darn if I can remember what it’s called–blue tin and is a “sleepy tea” of some sort) that tends to work if I’m in the mood for tea and makes me sleepy enough that I can actually get to sleep.

I don’t use these all of the time, nor do I take any medications or have any health difficulties which counteract with the antihystamine. (In fact, it does help with my seasonal allergies.)

Big sleep problems here, and big fan of the Ambien.

I sleep better even just knowing that I have it, because I don’t stress out as much about sleeping. No next day grogginess at all.

I do, sometimes while on it, actually wake up, and it’s a bit dreamy and strange. But 9 times out of 10 it just gets me to sleep in under ten minutes, and keeps me there for six to eight hours.

Which one is it with the butterfly/Angel of Death in the ads? That one looks good.

BWHAHAHAHA!! That’s what my friend Beth who is a nurse calls it!

The medicine is Lunesta.

I tried it. It did not help me get to sleep. It did not help me stay asleep. I woke up with the most horrible taste in my mouth I have ever experienced.

And the stuff cost over $130 for a 30 day supply.

I won’t be refilling it. My doctor gave me something else I will pick up tomorrow.

I think I’m going to have to classify this as asking for medical advice, and my advice is ask your personal physician.