Tell me about cast iron cookware

We make homemade deep-dish pizza in our 15" skillet. It is so amazingly good. The crust comes out perfect.

I love my cast iron cookware.

I have 4 skillets ranging in size. Two are at least 50 years old and were given to me by my grandmother. I also have a dutch oven and a griddle. Griddle makes excellent pancakes, and I wouldn’t make chili in anything other than my cast iron Dutch oven.

This thread made me concoct some garbage cornbread last night in my cast-iron chicken fryer. I added ortega chilis, grated cheese, onion flakes, hot sauce, grated salami and some grated pepperoni. Then I topped the whole mess with more cheese and baked. Yum! I’ve been snacking on it all day. :smiley:

From a nutritional standpoint, cooking tomato sauce in a cast-iron pot is a Good Thing. The acid in the tomatoes leaches out some of the iron, boosting the iron content of the sauce. Or so says one of my diet books.

Great. Now I’m gonna have to make chicken-fried steak tomorrow.

Robin

Yep, my doc actually recommended it to me because I have iron-poor blood. Much tastier and more easily absorbed than taking supplements.