Tell me about EVE Online

I have no doubts that it woudl probably run, but my graphics are not great (won’t run Civ4, for example) and the graphics are a big selling point for me.

That, and I would hate to have to reinstall and such when I get the new box anyways.

Anyone have a good “newbie” guide for this game? I need something I can ‘play’ (distract me slightly) while doing all of my grad school reading, and I think it might be time I finally break down and give this a solid shot.

That was my thread. I played incessantly for a few months, on and off for a few more, then not much after that. I haven’t logged in at all since the Trinity expansion, at least. Still have my account, but I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it. I seem to be getting less patient with hugely complex games than I used to be; 10 years ago I would probably still be raving about EVE instead of making this post. Also, I may have made a mistake in joining a hardcore 0.0 PvP outfit too soon. They’re nice guys, but are way more heavily invested than I am. The CEO and most of the officers have several accounts each (unlike most MMOs, this is allowed by the game license). Also, a confluence of in-game and out-of-game events kinda left my character stranded and broke, and me with little time to do anything about it.

For obvious reasons, I like this one. It continues on in the two issues after this one.

I now have three ships: the Ibis, the free Condor (armed with a couple of free missile launchers), and a Bantam (armed with a 75mm and Plutonium rounds from a rat wreck).

I would advise against joining a 0.0 PvP corp/alliance too soon. It’s a lot of fun but the time investment is huge for the more involved corps. My old corp got dragged into huge multi-front war after war. It was fun for a while but there is a hell of a lot of ‘tactical manoeuvring’, which basically means sitting in safe spots for the enemy to make a mistake.

Also, while you might not need a very fast computer to enjoy most of the game (I played with a 1.66ghz Athlon, 1gb Ram and a Geforce 5200 for a long time without a problem) you will need something half decent if you want to do something in large fleet combat other than looking at a blank screen and waiting for your wallet to start flashing… You’ll know what I mean when it happens, heh.

EVE was a very fun game. Not quite as fun as Ultima Online in the good ol’ days but fun none the less. Just try not to bite off more than you can chew, never fly more than you’re willing to lose and don’t take losses too personally. Just because Empire space is ‘high security’ doesn’t mean you can’t be killed there. I left just before they introduced the ‘warp to 0km’ option, Empire killing might not be as bad now but you still have to align when you come out the other side…

Fit your mining ship with a Survey Scanner if you haven’t done so already and head for 0.7 space.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check my skills tonight and see if that’s an option at this point.

Just started the game a couple weeks ago.

Question 1) I killed a bunch NPC “mercs” during the mission “The Heir’s Favorite Slave”, and they dropped a bunch of “Republic Fleet ID [dog] Tags” where, in their info/description, it says they would be valuable to the right people.

How do I find out who to turn them in to, and is this process different than just selling them in the market place?

Question 2) I am flying a destroyer size ship for combat quests. The “Security I” quest givers in high sec space seem to give missions that are too easy, but I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.

At what point should I be ready to do the “security II”, “III”, etc missions (in .6+ security space)?

Is level II missions for cruisers/BC’s, III for Battleships, etc?

Thanks!

In case anyone cares, I have discovered that you shouldn’t try to do a level II security mission in a destroyer. (If that makes me a noob, then so be it.)

I haven’t played EvE in a couple years (but damn am I always tempted to get back into it!), but a general guide:

Level 1: Frigate
Level 2: Cruiser
Level 3: Battlecrusier
Level 4: Battleship

You can use a destroyer for Level 2’s, and they are nice for salvaging as you go, but make sure your energy management skills are well trained, because IME eventually your capacitors will get drained and your defenses overwhelmed if you are not skilled up. This applies to all ships, really. Train your energy/capacitor/support skills!

Have you considered finding a partner for your level 2 missions? I joined my first corp that way, by teaming up with another newbie to run missions together, and soon after forming a corporation together. Hilarity and lots of PvP ensued. It’s really my fondest memory of the game. EvE is deadly dull if you play it as a single player game. Join forces with some like-minded players, and beware of jerks and scammers, and you’ll do fine.

Thanks!

It hasn’t been dull for me yet. Thanks again!

I got into the game a few years ago. The concept of the game seemed interesting to me, but when I actually played it I found I spent 90% of the time on autopilot or updating my skill queues. I guess if I had a lot of time to kill it would be worthwhile, but honestly for me there just wasn’t enough interaction/too much investment. But some people might like playing Space Stock Market.

There is a funny webcomic about the skill curve for EVE online :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t been able to play for a couple of years now, because of updates to their graphics. If I ever get a new computer, I will probably start up my account again.

Here it is!

What equipment or skill do I use to counter Weapon Disruptors?

It’s been at least a couple of years since I’ve logged in, but IIRC anything that helps your tracking: tracking computers or enhancers, and the tracking improvement skills (motion prediction?).

I made a lot of use of drones (I am the race that specializes in that), and they seem to do well in that regard.

All based on faulty memory, so appropriate cautions.

Ok, thanks. :slight_smile:

When considering a skill or module that “increases turret tracking speed”, does this mean to say that it directly improves accuracy?

Not as such. It means that your turrets can turn faster, and so hit a targeted ship with a higher radial velocity. Your turrets can’t hit targets that traverse their field of fire faster than their tracking speed. You can compensate for this by various strategies - engaging at greater distance so that absolute velocity translates to lower radial velocity, moving your ship away from or towards the target to force it to move in a direction which decreases its radial velocity, improve your tracking speed skill (don’t remember what it is), use modules to improve tracking speed, use weapon systems with higher tracking speed (blasters instead of railguns, say) or which deal with tracking differently (missiles and drones, though look at how those systems do interact with target speed).

Disclaimer: haven’t logged on for a few years, things may have changed