Tell me about HIIT

So I’m always on the look out for fitness stuffs, ever since I recaught the fitness bug almost a year ago, and I’ve been reading/hearing about the newest trend, HIIT training. I think that stands for High intensity impact training. I could be wrong.

Anyway, it’s done for short durations and is supposed to burn more fat than your typical static state cardio (ie, 30 minutes on the bike, for instance).

At the little work gym I workout with I don’t have many options for HIIT training as I only have dumbbells that go up to 50lbs. Hm…Maybe I should rephrase: I don’t know many options for HIIT training. Basically all I’ve been doing recently is a jog with a 50lb db in each hand, which is maybe for 90 feet total. I’ll go as fast as I can. I’ve done this for about a week.

Here’s my questions: Is HIIT really worth it? What other options do I have?

I think that kettleball training falls in the scope of HIIT, but my gym doesn’t have dumbbells.

In short, your HIIT, tell me about it. :slight_smile:

You can do High intensity Interval Training on any of the cardio equipment. Instead of going along steadily at 65% max HR or whatever, you insert brief periods where you push yourself up to 90% + before dropping back to something maintainable, repeat.

Check this out:

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

More from Alan Aragon:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html

He’d make a great Doper. All of his facts are based on peer reviewed studies and research. You can check out his website that’s linked to at the bottom of the article.

Shoot! I knew I got the words to the initials wrong!

Interesting about the 90%, I hadn’t thought about that.

Thanks, will do!

I do HIIT sessions on the rowing machine (down to below 1:40 per 500m) or thrusters with 10-12kg dumbells (starting with about 8 reps per cycle).

I have only been doing these for a few weeks, but I like throwing them in the mix. I am also doing high intensity circuit classes a couple of times a week.

Si