Tell me about lacrosse.

I’ve always been intrigued by lacrosse. I’ve never played it, and I don’t know the rules all that well. It seems to me to be sort of a combination of hockey and soccer, as far as strategy and objective go. All I really know is that it looks fun as hell and it’s very exciting.

My six year old son has expressed an interest in lacrosse. I don’t know how or where, but he’s seen it. Maybe a college match was on tv or something. He’s not really into organized sports that a typical 6 year old would play. He’s not on the t-ball team, has no interest in playing catch in the yard (although he’s all about playing wiffle ball if there’s a family gathering), doesn’t play basketball, isn’t on a soccer team, etc. He’s a blue belt in kung fu, and is beginning to learn the staff. (He’s got sweet bo staff skills. The one gang at school kept wanting him to join.)

What can I do, having never played lacrosse and not owning any equipment, to keep him interested, and maybe teach him good habits if he can get into a local youth league? From what I can tell, there aren’t any close by in my area, but some of the high schools and several local colleges have teams, and it seems to be growing in popularity in the area. I know I’ll have to get sticks and a ball that we can at least toss around, but there’s probably more to it than that.

Lacrosse is fun. I played it through high school, and played pick-up games here and there in college. I liked it a heck of a lot better than field hockey or softball because of its explosiveness – the ball’s always moving, you’ve got to be on your toes, and you run like you’ve never run before. Plus there’s the “exotic” factor in the equipment and how to use it.

Speaking of equipment and how to use it – yeah, there’s where the sticky point is. There’s a certain way you learn how to “cradle” the ball in the net that’s on the stick so it doesn’t fall out. There are other numerous ways to “cradle” it, depending on what you’re doing, whether you’re getting ready to throw it, blocking somebody, scoring, making a breakaway run…you get the idea. It’s pretty simple once you learn the technique, but, as with everything else, you’ve got to practice it.

I’ve never seen little kids playing lacrosse. I’d imagine it’s because of the danger factor with flying balls and the risk of accidental injury with either the stick or slamming into another player.

Nevertheless, if your son is as enthusiastic as you say, I see no harm in getting him the stick, ball, and, most important, somebody who can teach him the techniques. Without the latter, there’d be no point to it.

Good luck! :slight_smile: