Tell me about supplemental insurance

In short: MrsDvl and I are freelance consultants. I found a great gig for a client that considers me a part-time employee, despite not billing hours every week. This includes enrollment in their part-time benefits program, which dramatically cuts the cost of our insurance. But as it’s part time benefits, it’s not quite the amount of coverage we want.

For $260 per month we (the two of us) have Aetna’s decent-but-very-basic PPO medical ($15 co-pay, 20K max benefit per year), their threadbare-but-better-than-nothing hospitalization ($1K per incident + $100 day), their you-don’t-need-drugs-that-badly prescription plan ($10 co-pay and a $200 per year max), and their not-much-but-we’re-glad-to-have-it-anyway dental. As it’s a part-timer’s plan, that’s the maximum amount we could sign up for. It seems… wanting.

But for some reason I’m finding a paucity of information on supplemental insurance. My guess is that since the basics are already taken care of, it should be relatively cheap to boost our coverage up to respectable levels. I figure that buying supplemental insurance will get us up to the level of a great health plan – paying more than if we were full-time employees, but less than if we were buying it completely independently. But from whom? That crazy duck? I’ve left a couple messages and used their contact me page, but haven’t heard from them. There must be other companies out there, but all I’ve found are those willing to supplement Medicare.

Any suggestions? Advice? Duck recipes?

Thanks,

Rhythm

I am an Aflac rep.

If you’re talking about the duck, you’re talking about Aflac.

Basically, what Aflac does is to pay cash directly to the policyholder in the event of an illness or accident or whatever plan the policyholder has. You can use that money however you like, and that includes paying deductibles, copays and other medical expenses.

Since I don’t know your specific circumstances or location, I can’t give more specific details. If you like, PM or e-mail me and I’ll do what I can for you.

Robin

Thanks!

The commercials seem to imply that Aflac is geared toward replacing lost income – is that just an individual marketing campaign or the more common use? Who are your main clients? People with good jobs but crappy insurance?

In some ways, we don’t mind where the money goes. That is, we’re willing to cede a degree of choice if in the long run keep it keeps medical costs down. Our main concern is that we’ll end up with larger medical bills than we can handle (next round perhaps we’ll get to thinking about disability). $20K (our annual max) seems an easy sum to reach with a just-beyond-minor incident. How much more we need is the underlying question in the OP – I know the answer differs for different folks, hence it’s in IMHO.

Rhythm

(BTW, I tried to send a quick email, but your address is hidden … I think mine is visible, if you would drip me a note)

Gimmie your ages and location(state), plus smoking status, and I’ll see what I can dig up.

Hi WD,

We’re both in our late-late thirties, and are happily not smoking anymore (or not so happily , as the case may be). Having just left NYC, we now live in the middle of nowhere, New York. Well, middle of nowhere is a relative term, but our wonderful town has only one traffic light (albeit of the no-turn-on-red variety).

Rhythmdvl check your e-mail.

Robin