Tell me about your latest beer crush

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is always a winner at this time of year.

It’s a bit more heavy than what my tastes typically run to, but if your only going to have one or two for the evening, a very nice brew…

You don’t like the “2 Below”? I enjoyed it. Don’t know that I’d buy it again, but it was fine. I do like Fat Tire, and most of the rest of the things that New Belguim brews.

I’ve been enjoying Red Hook’s “Winter Hook” lately.

Crush? I’ve been married to Stella for years.

But from time to time I do have an affair with a Dragon’s Breath Pale Ale in the Kingston Brew Pub.

Russian River’s Supplication. After a couple of years of being in love with Consecration, it was time for a new relationship. Sour and fruity and just so damn good.

And you’d hardly know it from my RRBC lovefest in posts on this board, but I do try plenty of other beers, it’s just hard to find something better when the best is on tap right down the street.

Tonight I picked up a 4 pack (cans) of 21st Amendment’s Monk’s Blood. Not too bad, interesting aroma and a rich, nutty, toasty taste. Nice for this time of year, but overall just too sweet and malty for my tastes.

If you want to try more Saisons, Saison Dupont is kinda the gold standard for the type. I’ve not had Harpoon’s version, but as good as their other stuff is, I’m not surprised their Saison is incredibly tasty too. I’ve liked Avery Brewing’s various Saison’s, though they can be inconsistent.

We’ve been working our way through Brooklyn Brewery’s Black Chocolate Stout. Fantastic and rich, and until we tried Big Sky Brewing’s “Ivan the Terrible”, it was the best beer we’d ever tried. Living in Texas makes it very hard to try other reputed great stouts like Dark Lord, Speedway Stout, and Heart of Darkness, but it would be hard to imagine them being better than Ivan the Terrible.

Shiner Black Bohemian Lager… more like an ongoing affair than a crush…

Yup, I can envision a longterm (yet non-exclusive) relationship with Shiner Black.

My consistent favorite from Houston’s Own St Arnold Brewing Company is Elissa IPA. Their Winter Stout ought to be ready now–one of the very few stouts that don’t make me wish I’d just ordered a Guinness. I missed the latest Divine Reserve–produced in very small batches. But the big news: The brewery recently moved to a repurposed building very close to downtown–& brewery tours (with free samples) have just resumed!

I was recently impressed by a Yeti stout from Great Divide Brewing Company. Apparently they sell several Yeti’s; don’t remember which one I tried. Obviously, further investigation is needed…

My current love is for Templeton Rye Stout brewed at the local Rock Botton Brewery. A really rich tasty rye stout aged in Templeton Rye Whiskey barrels that reminds me slightly of Old Peculiar. I think the local RB is the only one that makes it - Templeton Rye is produced in limited quantities locally and the proprietors have a relationship the the brewmaster. Looks like they are going to be tapping the Templeton Rye Porter soon - I’ll be on hand for that party.

Of the more commercially available beers, I am still faithful to my longstanding love affair with Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout, with the nut brown ale close behind.

Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA. Not that new, I know. It is possible to have a long running crush and that one is mine.

North Coast Brewing Brother Thelonious is delicious and I usually am not into Belgian style Abbey Ales.

Is beer nerdiness inborn? I can’t tell the difference. I’m afraid that I’m in the crowd who might like Bud because it’s easy to drink (it’s made with rice). I’m not going to try to learn, because I don’t want to, and it would only ruin the field (small as it is for me, anyway).

I got some Brown Shugga as well. It sounded good, so I bought some. The reviews said it is good, so I decided to try one today. It smells exactly like brown sugar, which had me a bit worried but it tastes good. Not too syrupy like other sweet beers.

As far as I’m concerned, the only three beers worth drinking are:

Blackened Voodoo Lager

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest

Spaten Oktoberfest

These three beers are so good in their beer-ness that I imagine I get the same feeling drinking them as a chick with major PMS gets from eating high quality chocolate. Every sip is just shockingly good.

EDIT: These aren’t latest beer crushes for me. I spent the better part of my 20s trying every different beer I could find. The three listed were head and shoulders above anything else and have remained my favorites for almost two decades now. Whitbread Pale Ale is also damn good, plus they come in cute little four-packs. But not as good as the holy trinity.

Brains Dark

A bottle or 5 of the stuff will wash down my Ecksmas dinner.

I don’t have a crush, but I do have a longstanding abusive relationship with Arrogant Bastard ale. Every so often a 22 oz will end up in my cart and the full on hop assault on my taste and smelling sensories begins.

It’s already xmas eve and I’m BBQing out on the balcony. This afternoon I picked up a 5 liter Dortmunder Actien Brauerei (DAB) German Pilsner.

Ummmmmm beer.

I keep meaning to check that place out, but never have. Have heard alot of good things though.
My favorite at the moment is Tankhouse Ale from Mill St. Brewery in Toronto. Alot like Sam Adams Boston Lager, but a bit cheaper since it’s not imported :cool:

Good morning and Merry Christmas!

I woke up this fine Christmas morning realizing I made a mistake with my list above. This is because it’s been a few years since I drank beer. (Normally I drink mixed drinks.) I found myself craving beer about halfway through this football season and so have started picking up sixes for the first time in years. Here’s the real list of the three beers that have at one time or another been my single favorite beer:

Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dinkel Acker Dark

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest

As may be obvious, I’m not a huge fan of super-thick beers. I’ll drink a Spaten Optimator and like it, but I prefer lighter fare like the above three. With no luck finding them in my recent return to beerdom, I’ve been settling for:

Spaten Oktoberfest

Which is great, don’t get me wrong, but it has never been my #1 favorite beer. It has, however, always been my #1 alternate. The first three all have been a legitimate favorite for at least a couple years each. Now they together form a collective favorite, where I consider all three equally good and everything else is lesser. For anyone who likes microbrews but doesn’t like them crazy thick and bitter, I highly recommend the above three (four).

And just for completeness, special shout-out for Whitbread Pale Ale.

Treated myself to a bottle of this at my local last night. It’s not cheap there - cost $13 for a bottle, but hey, it was Christmas Eve. Not bad, but I prefer the Saison Athene from our local brewer (Saint Somewhere Brewing based out of Tarpon Springs). It’s only available in a few states - FL, NY, PA, MA and really not that easy to find except locally.

Now THAT (Dortmunder Pils) is my idea of a great beer…

Slainte!!!

(I am stuck here in Utah, and will be making do with a few 3.2 Labatts)