Tell me about your pickle

I’m in love with a pickle. Not just any pickle–pickled squash. This pickled squash in particular.(Try saying that fast five times.)

I’d never made pickles until I saw this recipe last week, which completely changed my life. Not only did I make pickled squash, I actually canned it–something else that’s new! It was so delicious and so easy. Now I’ve been bitten by the canning bug.

Now, I find myself eyeballing all sorts of foods, wondering if they can be canned. So tell me, what is your favorite recipe–pickles or jams or anything else canned. Help feed my newly found distraction with canning foods.

…says phall0106.

Interesting username/thread title combo. :wink:

Not if you read it p hall (my name) zero one zero six (my birthday).

Sorry.

I love dill pickled green beans (“dilly beans”). And the Lebanese style of pickled turnips, where you drop one chunk of beet into the jar and it turns pink.

I make a fresh pickle pretty often, from The Moosewood Cookbook: pickled onions.

Slice 3 or 4 red onions as thinly as you can (about the thickness of a cornflake is good).
Put them in a colander and pour boiling water over them to wilt them.

Mix 1 cup water, 1 cup cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp peppercorns together.

Put the onions into the brine and let sit at least an hour before eating. They last a really long time in the fridge and are delicious on sandwiches, on salads, on pizza, and eaten straight from the jar.

LOL, no worries. I don’t read it p hall, I read it as phall(us). :smiley:

I’m also a fan of pickled green beans. And pickled beets with onions. Carrots, too!

boooo… never spoil a funny.

Never made 'em myself, but I love those pink pickled turnips you get as a garnish at middle eastern restaurants.

Did you hear the one about the guy who worked at the pickle-packing factory?

I do a similar, but even quicker-and-dirtier version - finely sliced onion goes in a mug with a splash of vinegar, splash of water, any other flavoring agents I feel like, and is microwaved for 2 minutes. Mmm, good.