Tell me about your Tinnitus

Its not super annoying, maybe it is as S & G said, the sound of silence.

But obviously it isn’t because I am conscious of it.

In my past I had only ever heard sounds like a high frequency hiss if ever I had been very drunk or suffering from a head cold or otherwise chemically altered.

But just over the last few weeks or so I have occasionally been conscious of this ringing in my ears, as I said its very mild. If I am speaking to someone or even if I am focused on doing anything its certainly not enough to distract me. In fact I don’t even notice it then.

But if I am in a relatively quite place, not interacting with my surroundings then well yes I notice this mild but persistent high frequency buzz, tone, hiss or whatever, ( it’s hard to describe)

a little alcohol now actually makes it less noticeable. But only to an extent, if I drink a little more then I notice it more.

Is it age related? ( am 54) is it just a head cold or some such thing?

Anyway personal experiences would be welcome as I am really puzzled

Moved MPSIMS --> IMHO, home of medical anecdotes, diagnoses, and advice.

What?

Heh. I don’t notice mine, anymore. I developed it in my teens and 20’s from being around drums too much.

I think it’s not as severe as it used to be, though. Definitely there, though…and now that you’re pointed it out, I’ll notice it all day. Thanks. :smiley:

It’s usually a symptom of damaged cilia in the ear. Prolonged loud noise or bursts of intense sound damage them, so that they are constantly giving some kind of ‘sound’ signal to the brain even though there’s not an outside stimulus.

it can develop with age in some people.

I have developed a low frequency version, which I didn’t think was possible. I used to live in an industrial area where occasional, barely-noticable distant truck rumblings were to be expected most any time of the day or day of the week, and thought nothing of hearing them.

Then I moved to an area where that kind of sound was very unusual, especially at night and weekends. I once thought the sound was from distant logging or earthmoving operations, extremely difficult to pinpoint with ears as your only direction finder, and I know low-frequency sounds can travel for great distances. I traveled around often, listening and looking for anything that might cause a low, distant rumble, which always sounded like a diesel engine surging. But it didn’t make sense that logging would happen so much at such odd hours, or that it would be so hard to find.

I finally came to the conclusion that the noise is being generated in my ears, as no one else can hear it. It’s not all the time, and I can’t connect it with diet or any other personal biological event, and it’s too insignificant to be seriously worried, at least for now.

Tinnitus is caused by damage, over time to the cillia (hair like projections in the inner ear) from exposure to noise.
Mine is only in my right ear, which caused an uproar (no pun intended) at the ENT’s office. One reason for unilateral ringing is brain tumor. I had an MRI to find I don’t have a brain tumor, just tinnitus in one ear. There is no cure and very limited treatment.

I’ve had chronic tinnitus since at least my early 20s, if not sooner (FYI - I’m 40 now). Was a pro musician (pretty much “retired” from that). I’m reasonably certain it was/is caused by frequent loud music plus regular headphone use.

Some days are better than others though it rarely gets really annoying. I’ve observed that, over time, I’ve become uncomfortable with silent situations. I always want to have the radio or TV turned on just for some background noise. I also sleep with a fan for white noise.

I’ve never talked with a doctor or tried to treat it. From some web reading, there isn’t any known treatment anyway - just coping strategies, which I guess I’m already doing.

From my point of view - if you’re in your 50s and are just getting it now, you’re damn lucky.

In my case, it was a symptom of high blood pressure. It’s disappeared since I’ve been taking medication.

My contribution to a thread back in February of this year, and a link to the main thread.

Thank You. I didn’t notice that thread, its very interesting

December 27, 1997 and counting.

I have tinnitus. Im 51. I got mine from being a paramedic for 6 years before they allowed headphones (1978-1984), and because I spent a couple years as a cameraman for an underground TV show called live n loud. I was a pitman and standing next to those speaker towers was loud. I did wear earplugs there but that didnt really help. My hair would literally blow sideways to the bass.

I notice it when im going to sleep and everything is quiet.

I’ve had it since age 3. I remember learning in preschool that most people don’t hear a constant ringing, which stuck me as really weird. It doesn’t bother me too much most of the time because it has always been there.

I’ve heard that taking niacin (not the flush-free kind) helps a sizable minority of people hear the ringing less, but I take 500mg a day for skin health and haven’t noticed a decrease in ringing over the past eight months. If you can stand the flush, it’s probably worth trying out because it’s a pretty cheap cure if it works for you.

It’s almost been a year since I got it and I’m really starting to get the hang of it. I generally avoid silence, and when it is becoming an annoyance I can distract myself and put it out of my mind pretty easily. A lot of my intense fear was this getting worse past the point I could cope with it, but the longer it is with me the easier I accept it as a part of my life.

It helps that I am temporarily living in a place where the sound of the AC running is the best masker ever.

I developed mine in my late 20’s. I can’t trace it to any particular event or activity. I just figure that it happened because the genetic lottery didn’t see fit to grant me the most durable set of ears. It’s pretty annoying, but not so aggravating that a nice fan running can’t blot most of it out. I remember giving that Lipo-Flavonoid crap a try back in the day to see if it would make any difference at all; it didn’t, to my not-particularly-huge surprise. I’m always a bit worried that I’ll get it in the other ear as well. I want to have one good ear!

Chronic, high-pitched squeal in both ears, constant, ever since military exposure to jet engines in confined spaces some 24 years ago. Never stops, never entirely goes away although on rare occasions when I am really relaxed (upon waking, say) it will be a lower apparent volume than it is most of the time. It is most annoying when background noise is minimal, but can be heard all the time. Seems to get worse with stress, tiredness and possibly high blood pressure. No amount of massage, aspirin, tylenol, stretching, etc, will eliminate it.

I have no idea why I have it, but I’ve had it for basically my entire life. I have a very clear memory of being around 3 or 4 years old and asking my babysitter what that sound like a UFO was. She looked at me like I had two heads, so I never brought it up again; but looking back, that’s probably around when it started, since it was then unusual enough for me to remark on it.

I grew up and had no idea that this wasn’t how everyone’s ears worked until sometime in college, or maybe a little after. I never asked a doctor about it because I didn’t know it wasn’t perfectly normal. I can tune it out most of the time, but it gets worse for a few hours after being in a very loud environment, and that can make it hard to sleep. Also if someone calls attention to it. I have a white noise machine that helps.

I don’t think I have any associated hearing loss. If I pay attention I can still hear that high-pitched whine that electronics make when they’re turned on.

I can hear that too!

My tinnitus is more of a hiss than a high-pitched whine. It’s like my brain-radio is stuck between stations and all I get is static, all the time. I only become consciously aware of it when I’m in a quiet place, and it gets much worse if I’m congested, but it does seem to flare up sometimes for no reason I can discern. It mostly doesn’t bother me.

My ringing is in my left ear and I can’t remember when it started. It is a constant ringing. I don’t know if it is coincidence but I have severe hearing loss in my left ear. I’m 72, if it matters.

Tinnitus or ringing in the ears can be caused by many things including; noise exposure, hearing loss, medications, problems with your jaw, head trauma and others. If you have chronic tinnitus the first step would be a visit to an audiologist who specializes in tinnitus treatment. A full hearing exam with a tinnitus evaluation should be performed. There is no cure but there are some very good treatment options available that can provide relief for many people. More information is available at Tinnitus & Hearing Issues: Causes & Treatment | Metro Hearing