Tell me about your tumbling composter

Do any Dopers use a tumbling composter? My wife is tired of throwing away all of our kitchen waste, but she’s also not happy with the garbage can composting system we’ve been using, because we never turn it properly. So I’d like to try a tumbling composter, but there are actually quite a few of them on the market. Any recommendations? I’d like to keep it under $200. Thanks.

This is the one we use. It’s nice because it has wheels, so when it’s time to apply the compost, we wheel it to the gardens. I, for one, don’t want to carry a 37 gallon pot o’ goo anywhere.

When I first read the thread title, it brought to mind images of Beethoven doing gymnastics.
Never mind.

Don’t you have to load it all the way up, though? I was under the impression that you can’t really use my “dump a little in now, a little in tomorrow, a little in next week” method with a tumbler. Isn’t that true?

No, you dump and dump as you have scraps. But you do have to wait until it’s all “brewed” to *use *the compost once it’s full. The fuller you get, the hotter you get and the more quickly composting happens. (Or so they tell me. I’m not the composting expert in our community. I just throw in my dinner scraps and spin.)

Just throw in your scraps, give it a spin and add more scraps with another spin tomorrow. When it’s full, it takes another couple of weeks to complete it’s composting, and then you use it. We add comfrey leaves and the kids gather earthworms to speed things up.

We’ve got three composters, serving a community of 25 who is there mostly on weekends, so when one is full, we just move on to the next one. The first will be emptied before we can fill up a second.

If I was a singler user at home, I could probably handle keeping scraps in a bin for two weeks while the tea was brewing, and then start anew. It would take a long time to make 37 gallons of kitchen scraps.