[QUOTE=Sunrazor]
For reasons I am unable to explain, I find Mary Chaney’s pregnancy – indeed, all efforts by homosexuals to raise children – head-shakingly immoral. I do not understand this. I am one of the most socially liberal people I know. I’m a confessed atheist. I have counter-demonstrated against the anti-abortionists. Most of the local Republicans won’t even speak to me.
And yet …
When I heard that Mary Chaney had actually gone out and had herself impregnated so she and her girlfriend (whom, I believe, she should be legally allowed to marry) could raise a child, I damn near dropped my teeth. “Aw, jeez, you have got to be fuckin’ kidding me!” were my exact words.
It’s bad enough that my wife (bomb-throwing, left-wing fringe communist that she is) has all but disowned me over this; but my father, Republican precinct captain and president of the local Ronald Reagan fan club, told me, “I figger it’s none of my damn business, and none of your’s, either.”
I have no idea why I have such an unreasonable, emotional reaction to this. But I do. In fact, I find the whole issue of surrogate motherhood, artificial insemination (except for livestock and married couples in which the husband’s sperm is used to fertilize the wife’s ovum) distasteful. Stem cell research? Bring it on! Gays raising children? Oh, hell no!
So, I’m turning to the most educated, common-sensical and liberal bunch I know of – dopers. What the hell is wrong with me?!
[/QUOTE]
Try looking at it as something distasteful for you, you know…like brussels sprouts or joining the local baptist church. It doesn’t have to be fine for* you*. You just have to believe that family building is personal business that should not be meddled with by government or anyone else.
How do you feel about people who did it the old fashioned way and then raise the child by themselves? How do you feel about divorced families? How do you feel about polyamorous families? How do you feel about blended families? There are a million ways to express love. As long as it’s love, I’ve got no problem with any of them.