Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

My wife thinks she wants an apple/cherry/peach tree - it looks like apple/cherry/plum is actually a possibility.

I had assumed that the Philadelphia Freedoms, one of the original World Team Tennis teams, was named after Elton John’s song “Philadelphia Freedom.” I had it backwards – the song was named after the team.

Normally you wouldn’t use a random seedling as rootstock, as the rootstock controls a lot about the growth of the plant, including size, vigour, resistance to some diseases- there are specific varieties that are basically grown from cuttings for use as rootstock (for example M25 is a medium-vigour rootstock used for apples in the UK, Gisella 5 is a dwarfing cherry rootstock).

The advantage to growing as rootstock/scionwood is the ability to control the growth by selecting the rootstock separately from the fruiting wood, which wouldn’t work with a random seedling- you’d have no idea what you’d get.

Really old varieties were often grown on their own roots rather than grafted, by cutting an appropriate size dormant branch off an existing tree and just sticking it straight in the ground, because they were selected for both aspects (some are still grown in Cornwall in England, as it’s wetter than the rest of the UK, so the typical rootstocks often don’t do as well there, but the old varieties can cope).

Incidentally, pear trees are often not grown on pear roots at all- they’re widely grown on quince rootstock.

Surely. One thing that article didn’t mention was that he’s preserving certain varieties. It’s weird how we can rattle off varieties of apples—Granny Smith, yellow delicious, honey crisp, etc.—but how about plums or peaches?

I realized that for various reasons, including industrialization and the creation of enormous monocultures, we are losing diversity in food production and that heirloom, antique, and native varieties that were less commercially viable were disappearing. I saw this as an opportunity to, in some way, preserve these varieties. In addition to maintaining these varieties in my nursery, I graft them to the Tree of 40 Fruit. Additionally, when I place a Tree of 40 Fruit, I go to local farmers and growers to collect stone fruit varieties and graft them to the trees. In this way they become an archive of the agricultural history of where they are located as well as a means to preserve antique and native varieties.

https://www.epicurious.com/archive/chefsexperts/interviews/sam-van-aken-interview

(Check out the illustration of the tree in the article…I think it’s a painting, but wow!)

And from the Alcazar palace in Seville, photographed by myself:

Google Photos

You’ll have to click on the image to fully open it. It is, indeed, a half-orange-half-lemon tree.

(I’m still working on my best way to upload photos - bear with me).

j

Speaking of chimeras, there are a couple species of anglerfish where the (parasitic) male permanently fuses with the female as a normal part of the reproductive cycle.

~Max

I’ve been there, and somewhere I have a photo of that exact tree.

The “Mission Impossible” theme “beat” is actually the Morse Code for “MI” (dash-dash, dot-dot) - two long beats followed by two short ones…

In the mid-1960s, the “High IQ” organization Mensa suggested that members put a yellow ping-pong ball on their car’s radio antenna. And that they should signal to each other on the highway, with two long horn blasts “M” for Mensa.

I know this because my mother was chairman of the West Virginia chapter of Mensa. (Which I think should be in Guinness as one of the easiest jobs in history).

Iron Eyes Cody was perhaps best known for playing a crying Native American in a series of PSA’s about keeping America beautiful. He had a long career playing Native Americans in movies and on TV. IRL, he claimed to be a member of several Native American tribes.

In fact, his real name was Espera Oscar de Corti and he was Italian. Iron Eyes Cody - Wikipedia

In the same vein as Mark_Finn, the theme music to the detective series Morse is in Morse code.

And the Rush song YYZ, the code for Pierson International airport, contains YYZ in Morse code

Likewise, Some Mothers Do Ave Em has the theme in Morse code.

The Cannonball Run speed record, driving New York/California, was broken three times during quarantine!

Because a clever few figured out the roads would have little traffic! HaHaHa!

He did marry a bona fide Native American.

~Max

I had always wondered why so many Mid-Western recipes contained bizarre uses of mangoes. I figured they must have been the en vogue fruit of the 1950’s in the same way the hostesses of the 1600 had to use pineapple in everything.

It turns out that it’s the word they use for green bell pepper. This etymologist further opines that for a stretch of the 1700’s any fruit or vegetable that could be canned was a “mango.”

Wow. I had no idea. Didn’t grow up in the Midwest, but lived there from ~1995 - 2015. Color me flabbergasted. Although I know Midwesterners love to butcher them some terminology, culinary or otherwise.

The only time I’ve encountered mangoes as green peppers has been (occasionally) on pizza.

And then there’s this one.

It would be cool if you could find and post your photo too. (What possibilities - a poll - “Your favorite Spanish palace mixed citrus tree photo”? Hey, if I can have a thread on medlars, we can do this!)

j