Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Not cleavage - the iconic pose over the subway grate.

I saw it as the dress blowing up as she’s standing over the grate.

Sorry, mega clown wins. Can’t unsee it now.

Good to see someone got it. That’s what comes of keeping your mind below the gutter.

Surely a coincidence, but a darn good one. Saw an article (here is a similar article) stating that, out to (IIRC) 9 decimal places, the speed of light in m/s is the same as the latitude of the Great Pyramid of Giza in decimal degrees.

My BS detector went off, so I independently looked up the speed of light in m/s:
299,792,458 m/s (Wikipedia)

And converted 29.9792458 degrees N to 29 degrees, 58 minutes 45.3 seconds latitude.

Then I opened up Google Earth to check the latitude (it displays lat/long of your mouse pointer). Sure enough, this latitude passed through the center of the Great Pyramid. Well, within a few meters. Interesting!

There are a billion microphones in a kilophone.

And looking up. rimshot

For reasons beyond my ken, a couple of my college classes brought in Tom Ewell and he talked-about that iconic scene. The lesson I took from it was to never bring in a third-tier actor to talk about the only scene anybody remembers where he was just an observer. He gave the same presentation twice. This was long before the internet and the movie came out when the oldest of us were infants, so few of us had seen the picture.

ETA: Some of you may say, “We know you, @drop. You were one of the pervs who had seen it.”

You know me so well!

Today I learned about the Tragedy in the Torngats.

In 2003, Susan Barnes and Daniel Pauze decided to hike the tallest peak in the Torngat Mountains (Labrador, Canada). They didn’t make it home.

Here is a 22 minute documentary on it.

One degree of latitude would be about 5-million inches, so 6 decimal digits would be within 0.2 inches. One more decimal place would barely be discernible to the human eye. So the equality would remain true for any number of additional digits, which could be randomly chosen and still not be disputed. The pyramid probably moves tectonically by 0.0000001 degree in a short period of time.

Indeed! The “speed of light” figure gives us a very narrowly defined line of latitude…that doesn’t quite pass through the center of the great pyramid. Maybe a stone’s throw away. I guess it is often thus when we examine numerical coincidences closely.

I suppose one could take a line of N or S latitude at 3.1415926535 and find an interesting place it runs through, then write an article about it. Same deal.

I easily went there about a dozen times as a kid. I don’t recall ever actually seeing any injuries while I was there. (Referring to Action Park some posts back)

I just learned that white was a very uncommon color on cars before circa 1950. The reason was that titanium dioxide, the pigment used in white automotive paint, was very expensive until DuPont figured out how to produce it in large quantities in the late 1940s. Before then if you wanted a light colored car your best option was something like a very light, creamy yellow.

So just read in 1491 that during the Mayan dark age (around 1000AD) literacy appeared to be lost. But written inscriptions continued. So we have a bunch engravings of Mayan glyphs that appear to be total nonsense. Presumably the scribes knew that literacy had been lost, but there was no reason to tell their bosses, as they were the only ones who could read anyway. So if their boss was willing to pay for an inscription commemorating their great victory, they would get one even it was the mayan equivalent of “woqiurqwpoirul;kdgd;fgopiapdfg”, they would be none the wiser.

Well if you need some firewood stacking for winter and cant be arsed to do it yourself, a recording of running water and some neighbourhood bevers sounds like the way.

I just learned that two of the Dionne quintuplets are still alive (at 87).

It is reported that more Floridians die from misusing generators than from hurricanes.

I just discovered that Princess Leia’s hairstyle is called a Cootie Garage, and I think Star Wars will never be the same again.

I have heard that the term ‘basket case’ was invented as an “urban myth” or more correctly 'urban exaggeration" to emphasise the disabilities some soldiers received during WW1. The Surgeon General denied there were any such returned servicemen. It got a run again during WW2 and again the S-G said there were no actual cases, but by that time the phrase had become established as descriptor for any enterprise run so badly it was a hopeless case.

Like the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur?

For what it’s worth:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g56003-d106117-i256065992-National_Museum_of_Funeral_History-Houston_Texas.html

I accidentally deleted my earlier post (thinking I could edit it) and meant to come back to restate it.

2019: Colorado had 151 cases of catalytic converters reported stolen
2021 (so far): Colorado has had nearly 2500 catalytic converters reported stolen