Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

We had “Cool Clear Water” with ~Lassie~ on the slip cover. I loved the Lassie theme music – I made that mistake enough times that I still know the Cool Water lyrics.

https://veinatlanta.com/your-second-heart/

Everyone knows that the heart pumps blood, right? Did you know that your body has a second blood pump? It’s your calf muscles! That’s right, your calf muscles are your second heart! The body is engineered so that when you walk, the calf muscles pump venous blood back toward your heart.

In my state (Kentucky), a carton runs about $50-$70, depending on the brand.

The restaurant chain 5 Guys accounts for 5% of all potatoes bought from Idaho, and they only buy the tubers grown north of the
42nd parallel.

I’ve heard the same about feet.

Apparently there’s an enlarged blood vessel in each foot that acts like a heart. Every time you take a step, the heart gets squeezed, and it pushes blood back up the leg. But again, this is just something I’ve heard, and I’m too lazy to Google it.

If people have been working at height and using a fall arrest harness and are left hanging, you can get suspension trauma
Basically deoxygenated blood pools up in the legs and wont circulate out due to the muscles not pumping the blood and restrictions from the harness.
When you get the person down if they lay down horizontally , which is tempting as the legs feel weak, you can kill them as the deoxygenated blood floods back up to the heart and causes cardiac arrest.

Some harnesses have like stirrups that are to be used in this scenario to avoid this outcome. Not every one of them has this though.

?? ??

From here:

“Five Guys actually only use potatoes from Idaho, grown above the 42nd parallel. The potatoes grow during the day when it’s warm and stop at night once it cools down, causing them to be a denser, higher quality.”

The 42nd parallel is a line of latitude 42 degrees above the equatorial plane.

I learn that between 1935 & 1943 a Pack Horse Library project was set up in Eastern Kentucky, as hereunder:

The library service fell defunct in 1943 only because funding was withdrawn.

I can’t help but wonder what happened to the thousands of books out on loan at the cessation of the service. Perhaps they were duly collected, but if not, I’m curious to know how much the total fines would be on 36,000 books overdue for 78 years using official current and historical library fine rates for Eastern Kentucky and the Appalachians.

Thanks in advance.

Apparently certain mixtures of sodium and potassium are liquid at room temperature.

Discovered this from the excellent ‘periodic videos’ put out by Nottingham university:

Now I have to come up with a situation where I can use this as an ingenious MacGuyver solution to Defeat the Baddies… :slight_smile:

I saw this cool graphical proof of some of the common trig identities

Courtesy of Fermats library, it pops up cool stuff on a linkedin profile.

Interesting. I’ve worked with all the alkali metals, and was unaware of this.

Of course, the alkali metals are incredibly reactive with water and even humidity, so there’s not a lot you can do with the eutectic.

A more interesting one is Galinstan, which is another eutectic that’s liquid at room temperature. As it’s not toxic like mercury nor reactive like alkali metal mixtures, you can play with it:

The cooler the night, the more sugars in the potatoes. Canadian carrots are preferred for the same reason.

1. TIL that the widow of Oscar Wilde died of a botched procedure by a gynecologist who was later killed by the jealous husband of another of his patients.

2. Thirty years ago when I worked at Kinko’s in Reno, a frequent customer was the widow of Bill Lear of the car radio and private jet fortune. I knew they’d named their daughter “Shanda,” but TIL that Mrs. Lear’s father wrote the song lyrics “you’re in the army now, you’re not behind the plow…”

No one knows how or where eels reproduce. Any eel.

Being a nerd AND having a slightly less nerdy class meant high school physics class was a bit dull.

But we had microscopes in the science lecture theatres, so when it got too boring my friend and I used the pencil rotation technique, a sharp knife and a microscope to write out the alphabet in the smallest legible distance. I managed 6mm, lower case. Upper case takes more space.

We also made incredibly tiny origami jumping frogs, which due to weight vs potential energy in the spring, could leap several meters.

Thank you, I found this quite interesting.

There used to be an all-female band named Rockbitch that would perform their concerts either barely-clothed or naked. They would perform sexual acts on each other during their shows. And they would toss out a “golden condom” at some point during their show. Whoever caught it was ushered backstage to have sex with the entire band.

To balance that fact out, there’s also a thrash metal band named Okilly Dokilly that has all of the band members dressed like Ned Flanders. Their song lyrics are heavily influenced by actual quotes from Flanders on The Simpsons.

Slight hijack - this is the sort of thing that would be fantastic for conversations with people who complain about something having “too many chemicals” in it. I would love to see a best estimate for milk or cream.

Baseball: Khris Davis (Milwaukee Brewers/Oakland A’s) hit .247 four seasons in a row (2015-2018).