Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Cec Linder played Felix Leiter in the movie “Goldfinger”. I just learned that his father was a rabbi in Timmins, Ontario.

While researching for the Topic Playlist thread, I found that the song “Richard Cory” was covered by the band Martini Ranch in their 1982 album Holy Cow, which I used to own. I never realized Bill Paxton was one of the members, the same guy from Aliens and Weird Science. The video for their song “Reach” was directed by James Cameron, and featured appearances from Paxton’s costars from his movies like Lance Hendrickson, Paul Reiser, and Jenette Goldstein.

Irwin Allen’s “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” lasted four seasons. The fourth season had NO female actors in any episode. (Too bad. Seems like he could have worked Vitina Marcus in at least once!)

That is awesome !

Or a video game? Sound like it’s time to review the awesomeness of HBO’s Chernobyl dubbed with audio from the game Half-Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCE7GDkOhMM

Some estimates have suggested that around one in three South Korean women between 19 and 29 have had plastic surgery. Others have put that number at 50% or higher.

Bill Paxton was also in Pat Benetar’s Shadows of the Night video with Judge Reinhold, and was also the star of the video for Fish Heads by Barnes and Barnes.

Not exactly Christmas decorations, but Christmas stuff is now to be seen in the big-box stores.

With their eyes, ears, and nostrils on the top of the head, hippos can hear, see, and breathe while most of their body is underwater. Hippos also have a set of built-in goggles: a clear membrane covers their eyes for protection while still allowing them to see when underwater. Their nostrils close, and they can hold their breath for five minutes or longer when submerged. Hippos can even sleep underwater, using a reflex that allows them to bob up, take a breath, and sink back down without waking up.

https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/hippo

One of the “Barnes” in Barnes and Barnes was actor Bill Mumy. (The other “Barnes” was a friend from high school.)

Mayim Bialik and her family are not vaccinated.

I find this to be very disorienting.

Not quite accurate - from your own link:

In October 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, she said that though she had not received a vaccination in 30 years, she planned to be vaccinated against both the flu and the coronavirus and that her children had received all required vaccinations.

Thank you.

So at around the same time that it has been for decades

The currently most common meaning of the phrase “forlorn hope” (a faint hope) is entirely unrelated to its original meaning. It comes from the Dutch “verloren hoop”, which literally means “lost troop” and refers to a group of soldiers sent out on a suicide mission. The Dutch word “hoop” means “troop” and is unrelated to the English word “hope”, although it is related to “heap”. Through folk etymology and a vague semantic similarity (a “lost troop” would have faint hope of survival), the phrase was corrupted into its current meaning, in which “hope” seems to be the normal English word.

People who read David Drake books know this. :slight_smile:

The French equivalent is Enfants perdus literally “Lost children”.

True. But hoop definitely means hope as well in Dutch. The word has multiple meanings.

:wave:

I learned it from a Bernard Cornwell “Sharpe…” novel.