Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

I was in a university production of 1776. The makeup guy was trying to save on makeup for our Ben Franklin. Instead of using a bald-cap-with-hair-around-the-fringe to simulate Franklin’s famous partly bald head, his idea was to cut slits in the bald cap and pull the real actor’s hair through.

So he tried it.

Instead of Ben Franklin, the guy ended up looking like Bozo the Clown.

“Treason is a crime invented by the winners as an excuse for hanging the losers” doesn’t sound quite the same coming from Bozo.

So much for that experiment.

Not exactly a random fact, but it fits nonetheless.

Darla, a Bichon Frise (breed of dog), had quite an acting career. She played Pink Poodle in Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, then appeared in The ‘Burbs with Tom Hanks. She was then given her first “starring” role, playing Precious in The Silence of the Lambs. Her final film appearance was Ratty Poodle in Batman Returns.

‘A taste of his own medicine.’, is from a fable by Aesop, about a huckster selling a useless snake oil type ‘cure all’ medicine. When he falls deathly ill, they try to save him by treating him with his own medicine. Which he KNOWS is useless.

In 1984, Alfredo Griffin, a shortstop for the Toronto Blue Jays, played in the All Star game, despite the fact he was having a really terrible season, because he had a ticket to the game. American League shortstop Alan Trammell was injured just prior to the game, but as it happened, Griffin was in town as a guest of his teammate Damaso Garcia, who was legitimately on the all star team. Since Alfredo just happened to be immediately available, the American League manager named him to the team. He replaced Cal Ripken for an inning on defense, and made one play, but never got to hit.

Rikki chose to lose that number… given that she was already married (and pregnant).

Thanks, @Chad_Sudan for a very interesting story about a great song. I read somewhere sometimes that the song was about drugs and that Rikki is a dealer, and since there are so many Steely Dan songs about drugs, I believed it.

The article doesn’t bother to mention that Rikki Ducornet is a renowned artist and writer and a star in her own world. That world is pretty highbrow so she’s not a public figure. Still.

In honor of the recently deceased Mickey Mantle, the Topps Company ceased issuing current baseball players on #7 in their main set for 20 years. There was, however, a #7 Mickey Mantle card in 2006. Production of #7 cards resumed in 2017 and each of them featured a Yankee – until this year when #7 was a Brewer on the front and a checklist on the back.

I believe it was this thread that taught us about the Moscow subway dogs. Now there is an Istanbul ferry dog.

Winston Churchill’s “Fight them on the beaches” speech was recorded in 1949.

It’s a great number.

Over the past year I’ve listened to it many times. But not the Steely Dan version. Jeff Baxter combined with Kipp Lennon (Venice), Nathan East, and a few other guys back in 2016 for the undermentioned, and for me it works very well. Lennon especially does a terrific job.

If anyone cares to watch the video I have a question. Who is the guy with long hair and bare feet sitting to the left of Nathan East.

It’s also worth keeping an eye on the three male backing vocalists who, I fear, may be just a little high, in particular the one nearest to us. I think, but am not sure, these guys may be related to Lennon.

Apologies if this is too much of a hijack. I do love this song. FF to 1.30.

In the Quintin Tarantino Universe, the character of Aldo Raine from Inglorious Basterds is meant to be the great-grandfather of the character of Floyd in True Romance.

Both characters are played by Brad Pitt.

The Isle of Ebony mentioned in the Enya song Orinoco Flow no longer exists. It was a river island in Kent, England surrounded by marsh and tidal waters, but it is now part of the mainland. It’s considerably less exotic than you would imagine, given the name.

Primulina tabacum (a member of the gesneriad family) reputedly has foliage that smells like cured tobacco.

It seems that this characteristic doesn’t apply to all species variants - at least, a crushed leaf from my newly acquired plant just smells like…crushed green leaf.

Fortunately I can fall back on Phyllanthes angustifolius, whose clusters of tiny reddish-brown flowers smell like bacon Fritos.

Budtime is a word and means “the season of budding.”

I see Nashville is trying for a (baseball) expansion team. They want to call it the Nashville Stars. Cool. But what we really need is an expansion to Cuba. Bring back the Sugar Kings!

If they ever get a major league team it should be the Nashville Cats. End of story.

*stupidly, there was a “Nashville Kats” Arena Football League franchise.

And license the old Fort Worth logos.

Just in case someone doesn’t get it…