Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

When Henry Aaron retired, he was first among all major leaguers in career home runs, and in alphabetical order. He is currently second in both categories; to Barry Bonds and David Aardsma, respectively. Bonds and Aardsma played together for the Giants in 2004.

Wikipedia says it was the same crash, which is how I remember it.

“July 23, 1982, a Bell UH-1 Iroquois helicopter crashed at Indian Dunes in Valencia, Santa Clarita, California, during the making of Twilight Zone: The Movie. The crash killed three people on the ground and injured the six helicopter passengers. Those killed were actor Vic Morrow, child actor Myca Dinh Le and child actress Renee Shin-Yi Chen.”

My bad, he was wanted in a similarly-named county in the same state.

He and a partner shot four while robbing a liquor store; two of the victims died. Both guys have the same bond.

Nope, this was my mistake.

I still have the cassette :slight_smile:

“Hooters” is actually two different companies, Hooters of America, LLC, and The Original Hooters Group, both operating “Hooters” branded restaurants. As a customer you would never know the difference, but the former is what you will find if you just search “Hooters” even though they only operate 37% of all Hooters branded restaurants worldwide (they run 160 locations out of 307 in the US and roughly 430 globally). The two companies are related but independent and operate restaurants in specified territories to avoid competing with each other.

The original Texas Roadhouse restaurant is located in Clarksville, Indiana .

Agatha Christie used the name James Bond for a character in a short story published 27 years before Ian Fleming wrote the first James Bond 007 book.

https://www.thebondbulletin.com/trivia-agatha-christie-and-james-bond/

I’ve been hearing the phrase “Magic Bullet” - used more-or-less to mean Wonder Cure - all my life. Hell, I remember my parents using it. I just mentally filed the phrase away as yet another one of those annoying buzz-words coined by a low-end newspaper, that somehow lodged itself in the public consciousness and got stuck there.

Uhh - Wrong! Let’s hear it from the Nobel Prize winning scientist:

Ehrlich’s research on the magic bullet was the foundation of pharmaceutical research.

As an aside, Ehrlich’s concept anticipated by many decades the development of Monoclonal Antibodies.

j

You’ve obviously never seen the Edward G. Robinson movie Doctor Ehrlich’s Magic Bullet

I have, as you surmise, never seen the Edward G Robinson movie in question - and I’m not the least bit embarrassed about that.

On the other hand, I did spend an entire career working in the pharmaceutical industry… ::winces::

j

I’d heard of gall stones, kidney stones…but tonsil stones?

Yep, I’ve heard of them. I’ve heard you can even find videos on youtube of people expressing them.

No, I am not going to look for a link.

I’m surprised that the official wizard predated the first Lord of the Rings movie by several years. Given that they filmed there, and that the filming became a major tourist attraction for the country, I at first assumed the “Official Wizard” was a response to that.

Firing your official wizard as a cost-savings measure sounds all well and good, but the first time a balrog shows up, they’ll be regretting that decision.

They’ve come up many times in discussions of disgusting things right here on this board! :slight_smile:

Fun fact: tonsilloliths can look massive, but are mostly liquid (saliva, etc.). Once out of the tonsils, they dry out quickly; even the largest ones resemble grains of sand after a few hours.

Yup. Also, the annual fireworks show will never be the same.

I’ve had them. It never occurred to me to keep one and examine it over time.

Not a new fact to me, but since last night’s Jeopardy! was unclear on it, I thought I’d mention it:

The Volkswagen model Golf is named for the gulf (type of wind), not the game of Golf.