Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

I was trying for more a “blinkenlights” vibe…you know, German language (or mimicry of it) that sounds funny to native English speakers.

It takes an Einstein to understand me! :wink:

In researching for another post, I learned that the total number of hours worked by slaves on the North American continent, from 1619-1865, was 410,000,000,000 hours, or 46,000,000 years, representing $2 to 4 trillion in surplus productive wealth (assuming $5 to $10/hour at today’s wages, net of ‘sustenance’), all poured into the pockets of their white slave holders.

Nah, I’m just his dog.

Did you subtract room and board, other expenses such as clothing that was furnished? Child care for those too young to do the labor?

Slavery was not right and looking back a black eye for our country during that time in history but slaves were not “pure profit “ for the slave owners.

Holy fuckin’ Hell, really?

Did you even read how I phrased it? What does ‘net of sustenance’ even mean anyway?

Anyway, gotta be proud of your brave defense of slaveowner finances.

Wow! I guess someone was going to come here to defend the indefensible, with faint condemnation.

Most common national celebration on Earth, is a holiday shared by 65 different countries!
On average, once every sixth day.

Independence from the British!

Yeah, but did you think about how much it cost the British to set up those colonies? Huh? HUH??

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I mean, tell me more about 18th-century child care benefits for the enslaved and the financial impact this had on white slave holders! I’m fascinated!

Oh, wait! These are children which could be sold if too expensive.

Holy fuckin’ Hell.

And if a couple of them died, they can always make more. AMIRITE?

Nacogdoches to Tishomingo: 257 miles.

Anyway, if y’all are interested as to why I’m pulling up slavery statistics, it’s in the 2nd post of this 2-post reply:

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/democratic-party-seems-determined-to-allow-the-perfect-to-be-the-enemy-of-the-good/951791/156?u=johnt

Oooh that’s a good one. Is this right though? More so than (say) Christmas or New Year Day?

The Amtrak Coast Starlight, as it goes through south Oregon, crosses over the Cascades southeast of Eugene, and its last two Oregon stops are tiny towns hardly anybody has heard of: Chemult and Klamath Falls. I wondered why the train doesn’t stop at, say, Ashland or Medford, well that’s because it doesn’t go that way.

It’s too bad Amtrak can’t always go where most of the people are!

I think the key word is ‘national’…

I’ve always found it fascinating that the greatest writers of English and Spanish, Shakespeare and Cervantes, died on the same date (April 23, 1616), yet ten days apart - Spain was alredy using the Gregorian calendar, England still the Julian one.

That doesn’t sound like a defense of slavery to me. I had some similar questions when I read JohnT’s post. If someone describes the history of slavery in mathematical and statistical terms, it ought to be fair to ask mathematical questions about it.

Guys, what do you think ‘net of sustenance’ meant? Or ‘surplus productive wealth’?

It means the slave owner kept all surplus productive value produced by the slave, excepting that needed for sustenance.

I mean… it’s right there in my words.

Twice.

More context found here:

Having never taken an economics class, I don’t know what those phrases mean. And that wasn’t my only question.