Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

It’s not Economics. It’s plain English.

And that was exactly a defense. It’s an age old tactic.

And to show up my limited German skills. It’s been over 40 years, maybe I should quit trying. :grin:

Possibly, but you didn’t ask those.

I will ask the questions Robot_Arm neglected to.

What about the cost of medical care provided? Those branding and flogging wounds didn’t heal themselves. And the security needed to guard against rebellions and recover escapees.

Not to mention, we need to deduct for the cost of sea passage for these immigrant workers.

Just in case it’s not obvious, I’m being sarcastic.

Aww, shucks guys - I’m just glad someone appreciates us…

j

(I guess I better follow @Mighty_Mouse’s lead and add, Just in case it’s not obvious… )

The term, ‘scientist’, was coined in 1830 to describe Mary Somerville, a woman. ‘Man of science‘, didn’t fit and she wasn’t a physicist, geologist, chemist, but all three!

Klamath Falls is more than 20,000 people, which counts as a major town in Southern Oregon. It’s about the same size as Ashland.

The first (“mechanical” bathroom) shower was patented in 1767.

j

All the trees in Berlin’s streets and most of the trees in the parks are numbered: They nail a little round white sign (here is the link to the ones making the signs) to them with the number printed in black. It is called the Baumkataster (link to the official site in German: with disclaimer in red: this map does not claim to be complete and no rights can be derived from it. Can’t get more German than that, can you?).

Turns out that all people with blue eyes share a common ancestor .

I’m totally confused by this. I have green eyes, and my brother’s eyes were blue. Does this mean that two brothers don’t have common ancestors?

I gotta be honest; anything more complex than a basic Punnett Square and I’m completely lost, genetically and biologically speaking.

Blue eyes are a recessive gene. Two brown-eyed parents have a chance to sire blue-eyed offspring if both of them have a blue gene (no pun intended). So, all brown-eyed people with recessive blue genes would have that ancestor, and so would their fully brown-eyed offspring.

Yeah, I got that. I just don’t know how green eyes fit in.

I’m reading it as “If two people have blue eyes, they’re definitely related. Others may be also related to a blue-eyed person, or maybe not.”

My husband and I both have brown eyes. Mine are a lighter brown and his are dark brown. We have three children. One with green eyes (exactly the color of my sister’s eyes), one with blue eyes, and one with dark brown eyes. My mom had green eyes, all the other grandparents had dark brown eyes. Where did the blue eyes come from?

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/brown-eyed-parents-blue-eyed-kids

I have three paperback ERB books* I inherited from my dad and your post inspired me to check the publisher. They’re all three Ace paperbacks as is the copy of Mastermind of Mars I found at the used bookstore. If I hadn’t already decided to wrap them up in plastic baggies to prevent further deterioration, I would now. I’m not sure how rare they are but considering the copyright issues they’re not easy to find. As I can attest–I’ve been looking to complete those series for years but I guess I’ll have to buy new copies of all of them. My dad’s books were well-read and well-loved and it shows. Plus Ace used really cheap paper that’s getting brittle in its old age.

Fun fact: I also inherited my dad’s paperback copy of The Hobbit which is the first authorized paperback version published in the US. There’s a box on the back cover announcing this fact. The unauthorized version they were railing against? Was published by Ace.

*None of them are Tarzan. One is from the Caspak series, the other is from the Moon series, and the third one is ERB’s final book.

XB-70 Valkyrie is a prototype, only three units were built, a study that contributed to the development of the SR-71 Blackbird among other planes. That is the coolest aircraft ever made by anyone, USA or not. And if you search for the development of that plane you will easily find the story about titanium. In Popular Mechanics it is told at least three times.
ETA: You can’t call it ninja’d that much later…

I warmly recommend this book:

Have you heard about the successor to the SR-71? The SR-72. A UAV capable of over Mach 6. :sunglasses:

No, I had not. Looks cool, but… it is unmanned and not yet a prototype. Mach 6 impressive, granted.