Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

I agree.

Oh, I thought when you said “the term used by Japanese” you were talking about the term Japanese use when talking in Japanese. Since I usually talk in Japanese to Japanese people then you would have more experience talking to them in English.

[pedantic nitpick]
Actually not, if you are saying that "Japanese English is wasei-eigo ([和製英語]), or “Japanese-made English,” which are words which the Japanese themselves make up new meanings out of English words. Another such example is キッチンドリンカー “kitchen drinker” meaning an alcoholic housewife.

“Japaneezu-engurishhu,” in an English sentence would be the deliberate mispronunciation of perfectly good English words which are appropriate for that situation.
[pedantic /nitpick]

Saw a manatee fart at Disney World. Or possibly poop – I don’t think there’s a huge difference between them. as The Learned Master once said, whale poop “like Top 40 radio and other effluvia, has little substance and no depth.”

Iguanas fart.

I think it’s related to the Dutch ‘zonder’ (and ‘bijzonder’: special) which means ‘without’ in English. It’s from the Middle Dutch ‘sonder’.

Just looked it up, and the etymologies of “lizard” and “wizard” are completely different. Specifically a lizard is not an -ard of something that is “liz”.

Wow. No wonder my back is so messed up. And knees. And why my feet got wide. :woman_facepalming:

I just found a little blog “dedicated to translating wartime Japanese newspapers.” Worth a look.

Today i discovered another meaning for the word elope…

elope

1. To run away secretly with a lover, esp. to marry.
2. To leave a hospital, esp. a psychiatric hospital, without permission.

Darn! I should have looked myself and not trusted those native speakers who wrote that elope cannot possibly mean escape.
Checks Webster’s and:

: to slip away : escape … might have mistaken him for … some scarecrow eloped from a cornfield.— Washington Irving

b : to leave a health-care or educational facility without permission or authorization …10 suicidal patients deemed ‘high risk for suicide’ eloped from the Emergency Department from October 2014 and February 2015.— Charles S. Clark Police in Ohio said this week that they gave a nursing home resident a ride and dropped him off at a gas station without ever knowing he was a dementia patient who had eloped.— Kimberly Marselas

Thanks, pjd!

Just found out today, Dot Matrix from Spaceballs and voiced by Joan Rivers was physically performed by Lorene Yarnell. Makes sense once you hear it.

I just got it from this thread. - so really thanks to @whitetho

Wow, I had no idea that I “eloped” following my botched appendectomy.

Hope you stopped at a good seamstress on the way home!

(to sew you back up because you eloped mid-surgery…)

Thanks, @Paul_was_in_Saudi! Both the propaganda itself and the explanatory notes are fascinating. I’d wager that not much from the Imperial Japanese press has been translated into English before.

1. Nebraska is the only state in the U.S. that is “triple landlocked.”

2. Not withstanding, dozens of people have been bestowed the title, Admiral in the Great Navy of the State of Nebraska.

Hmm, I guess Manitoba counts as a “state” for this purpose? Also, I get it that the Great Lakes don’t count, but it sounds weird to call Michigan a landlocked state.

A professor asked her students at Warton School of Business what the average American earns in a year. 25% of them guessed $100,000. (The correct answer is $56,000.)

-=Linky=-

Including this Doper.

AIUI, it’s thousands of admirals over the decades.

I am struggling to understand what this means. I cannot come up with any definition that makes it unique.

If you count the Great Lakes, then it’s only “double landlocked”. If you don’t count the Great Lakes then there are several other States (eg Iowa, Illinois, Indiana).

And what are the rules when you hit Canada anyway?