Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Andy Griffith’s real first name is Andy. I always thought wrongly his name was Andrew.

I heard a piece on the radio today about billionaires’ huge gains during the pandemic. There was a notable random fact about Jeff Bezos:
If he gave each of the 876,000 worldwide Amazon employees $105,000, he’d still have as much money as he had back on New Years Eve, a little after ten months ago.

So for those of us who are not going to just click on a random YouTube link, what is it about train, tram & elevator doors that is of note?

I thought you must have added an extra zero there, but then looked online and that’s accurate! He gained almost $92 billion dollars!! Holy hell.

Yeah, I could have fleshed that out a bit more, and added “closing” and “videos of”. The first video link is a ~ 3-minute collection of short clips of subway doors closing, from a platform view. NYC, London, Asian, plus others across the world. There’s a link at that page to other subway doors closing from the inside. That has links to door closing announcements and warning sounds, and so on down the rabbit hole. They are not compiled by the same person. I use the word “subway” but there are trains and trams too.

The second link shows elevator doors closing, but the links seem to go back to train doors.

It’s not thrilling but interesting, and maybe a half-step below the engineer-view train rides, but it’s out there.

I watched that video and it’s just an edited series of train doors closing. It’s like an AI inside YouTube is trying to figure out ways to hypnotise people but doesn’t quite understand how.

I did watch to the end though and I wonder how long I would have watched for. Like if it was on a loop would I still be watching it?

I’m guessing it is only a (very small) subset of train watching videos, a variation of “if it exists, there’s a video of it.” A less exciting version of car crash videos. Or a dry thesis of some obscure subject that the author wants to produce and some day, some where, it’ll be the last word on the subject. Anything more obscure than this?

I edit and monitor some Connecticut-related Wikipedia pages and one person insisted in repeatedly adding a URL to a YouTube video showing operating ceiling fans. I thought that was pretty obscure. (At first I thought perhaps he was showing the ceiling fan in that restaurant, but it was just a random selection of ceiling fans.)

George Washington became a slave owner at the age of 11

Good explanation, thanks!

“Georgie, you haven’t unwrapped your biggest birthday present yet!”

In St Louis there is a very longstanding Grateful Dead cover band named “Jakes Leg”.

Elvis Presley had a stillborn twin brother.

In East St. Louis their answer to the arch across the river is a geyser that shoots water to an equal height (630 feet).

I’ve always wanted to see it but the crime rate in East St. Louis is among rated the highest in the country.

Southern Illinois, aka Little Egypt, has long fascinated me.

I knew that! Entirely because of this excellent song:

The longest border between 2 countries in the world is between the US and Canada. The border includes the Alaska portion as well, so is interrupted by the Pacific Ocean. The longest uninterrupted border is between Russia and Kazakhstan.

The shortest border is about 100 meters, Zambia and Botswana. Originally thought to be a quadripoin, in the Zambezi River. I’ve been there, cleared immigration Zambia to Zimbabwe, presumably crossing a bit of Botswana unannounced, and maybe Namibia too. That was decades before the four agreed on the position of the boundary.

And his mother, Mae Axton, co-wrote “Heartbreak Hotel” with Tommy Durden. Hoyt had a once-off appearance in" WKRP in Cincinnati" as a rough cut former boyfriend of Jennifer

One reason for that setup is that the Germans Southwest Africa colony (now Namibia) wanted an outlet to the Zambezi. The other powers let the have the Caprisi Strip, a thin panhandle to the river. The idea was to use it as an outlet to then Indian Ocean, but it was discovered that the route wasn’t navigable.

Speaking of Namibia, the official language is English, despite the fact that only a small percentage of the population spoke it at independence. President Sam Nujoma choose English because it’s the international language of commerce, and because it would not give an advantage to speakers of the many other languages of the country.

IMDB started with a usenet post called “Those Eyes” listing actresses with beautiful eyes.

And of course, he was the father in the film “Gremlins.” He also co-wrote “Greenback Dollar” and “No-No Song.”

And of course, Boney Fingers.