Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Nope. Still Istanbul.

I think you have confused the Orient Express with the Trans-Siberian Railway. One branch of the Trans-Siberian goes to Beijing, the other to Vladivostok. They diverge after Irkutsk by Lake Baikal.

And Pakistan (which turns into one of the slurs I meant before if you remove the “-(s)tan”).

No, even a sultan of the Ottomans wasn’t that megalomaniacal. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love Orientalism in its historical context. If the West were still doing it, it would be stupid as well as offensive - like Elvis in the Harem scenarios, but looking back at Ingres and Vereshchagin and more European artists than you can shake a stick at, its hard to write off all this effort by all these talented, intelligent people as akin to some white racist hawking golliwog dolls and lawn jockeys.

And that’s just the visual arts. Musically, there’s Grieg’s Arabian Dance, Saint-Saëns‘ Bacchanale, Strauss’ Egyptian March, etc. etc. Edward Said can call Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade cornball, but not offensive.

An old thread: When East meets West (by sea)

The oldest writing in Denmark has been found in a grave. It’s always amazing when these little scraps of history turn up-makes you wonder how much never gets found.

Not the best place for that article title to get cut off.

stainless

Sheffield. Or Sabatier.

New thread: Titles That

Although the crooning style is mostly associated with men, like Bing Crosby and Rudy Vallee, Vaughn de Leath was first, embracing the style as early as 1921.

When Elvis returned after his army stint, he recorded a million-seller that was the favorite song of Colonel Parker’s wife, “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” one of de Leath’s big hits in 1927. That song is set up to go when you click, but play the radio intro at the album’s beginning as well.

@Exapno_Mapcase - the cueing didn’t work, at least for me.

If anyone else has the same problem, Are You Lonesome Tonight starts at ~ 12.58.

j

A probably ceremonial Roman helmet has two mice on the back of it up for auction.

Probably worth mentioning that the Latin word for “mouse” is the source of our word “muscle”.

And the biggest animal, the blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus), and a fairly small one, the house mouse (Mus musculus) share the musculus part of the name. Maybe a taxonomist’s joke?

Had some training today. Learned that pcphgpl stands for ‘passenger cars per hour on green per lane’. It’s part of calculating Ideal Saturation Flow [of traffic]. Definitely not a TLA, that one.

Also, if the queue waiting at a traffic signal doesn’t clear during the green light that’s a “Cycle Failure”.

“Demand Starvation” is what happens when a backup at one signal makes the next signal in line look like it’s properly handling the true traffic volume. If you change the phasing of the first signal without being aware of the demand starvation, the starved signal will fail when it has to handle the true traffic volume. (It’s one of the think that modeling programs are used to check for.)

There’s a highly-congested section of roadway (the ramps from 480 to Ridge Road, and nearby portions of Ridge, for other Clevelanders) that just a couple of years ago, someone did a study of using aerial drone footage, and discovered that the reason why the congestion was so bad was that some of the lights were mis-timed. It’s… Well, it’s still pretty bad, but it’s much better now than it was.

I wish I knew this in high school. The only actually-used nickname I’ve ever had was “Muscles.” At the time I was extremely small and it started as a joke in a improv theater class, but stuck school-wide.

If we’re going to talk about “Are You Lonesome Tonight?”, we should also talk about “Dream a Little Dream of Me”. Those of us who remember the most famous version probably think that it was first sung by Cass Elliot of The Mamas & the Papas in 1968. Actually, it goes back much further, and it was first sung by someone you may know but don’t think of as a singer. He was more famous in some other way. Yes, it was Ozzie Nelson in 1931. You know, the Ozzie Nelson that was in Ozzie and Harriet. He began his career in the entertainment field as an orchestra leader who also sang on some of the songs they did.

Speaking of Ozzie Nelson. He is the only person to have won a Grammy and to have a child and a grandchild also win separate Grammys