Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

I chuckled at that one.

Not that I doubt the authors, but it’s pretty darn amazing the beavers were fooled. Lots of differences between swimming and walking while working on your project. Not to mention the especially benign “current” out in that field.

Now there’s a great advertising slogan idea for those psychopaths behind Purdue Pharma:

Opioids: they’re safer than COVID!

For the epic album Dusty In Memphis, Dusty Springfield recorded the final vocals in… New York.

Recordings got under way with Wexler, Dowd and Mardin all in the control room at American. The great session players known collectively as the Memphis Cats added their studio expertise. But for all her vocal greatness, Springfield’s insecurities (and a certain uneasiness in these new surroundings) made the Memphis sessions difficult for all concerned. Notwithstanding the authentic Southern flavour of the tracks, the album’s title belied the fact that Dusty’s final vocals for it were recorded at later sessions in New York.

j

Y’ever yawn and saliva squirts out of your mouth?

I sprayed my dentist that way earlier this week.

Somehow I doubt the medical industry actually accepts “Gleeking / Gleaking” as the correct terminology for this. Most 6th graders? Sure. Medical folks? No way.

The huge Nimitz-class aircraft carriers that have been the backbone of the US Navy for two generations all have a design flaw that causes a serious list to starboard; they must all flood part of their port damage control voids to straighten the ship.

I’m not disputing you, but I’d love to read more about the engineering in this. Have you a cite?

I googled “nimitz carrier starboard list” and got lots of hits. Here’s the first:

https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/33439

TL, DR: it’s a real thing, and apparently normal operation with some ballast tanks flooded for list correction is considered a bad thing because it limits the ability to make further/necessary corrections after sustaining list-inducing combat damage. The document proposes a solution involving solid ballast (which is more dense than seawater and can be more advantageously positioned), but it doesn’t say whether that was ever implemented.

That was an abstract; if you want the full 159-page PDF, click here.

A bit of a headscratcher, that. You’d think after they floated the first Nimitz carrier and spotted the list, they would have just bolted some extra iron to the port side and called it done.

Thank you. It’ll be tomorrow before I’ve had a chance to read it all.

As you say, from an engineering POV it’s surprising they didn’t accomplish a bolt-on fix from the git-go. OTOH, from a contract management / bureaucratic POV I can see a lot of reasons that might have been “too hard”.

This is disturbing

Note that these took place last November. I don’t know if that has any significance.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/29/politics/us-investigating-mysterious-directed-energy-attack-white-house/index.html

According to my mother, who worked with beavers at a zoo for a while back in the 70s, they’re not the brightest animals- they had a pond in their enclosure, which had no water flow and was drained and cleaned out weekly, yet every week they’d build a shiny new dam across it using anything they could find.

I’ve done this to my dentist, and he’s called it gleeking.

Gleek is a very old word with several meanings over the years. One Shakespeare character (I don’t remember which) is asked if he can sing. He says something like, “I can gleek a little.” An old Webster’s says it means “music, musicians” It also meant “joke, jibe” as far back as 1530. More recently, it’s a fan of the Glee TV show.

This is from a brief swim through the entries at onelook.com If I had access to an OED, maybe I could give you a firmer link from gleek to the origin of glee clubs

I was thinking you could form a gleek club whether you can sing well or not

What form of energy are we talking about?

It’s in the article. Appears to be microwave. But, of course, no one has detected it while the apparent attacks were taking place.

Judith Love Cohen, who worked for NASA (she helped design the Abort Guidance System that rescued Apollo 13), went to work on the day she was in labor. She took a printout of the problem she was working on to the hospital with her. She called her boss and said she finished the problem. She then gave birth to a son.

That son is actor Jack Black.

I recently saw some video clip of a house-raised baby beaver building dams on the living room rug with toothbrushes and dog toys.

I remember a game show JB was on, and he called his mother as his lifeline. Now I see why.

On Facebook, some people were talking about olden times, asking if anybody had danced around the May pole and such. I started researching and found:

May (in Latin, Maius ) was named for the Greek Goddess Maia, who was identified with the Roman era goddess of fertility, Bona Dea, whose festival was held in May.