Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Engineers did actually propose that the ship’s rations be stowed there, in order to induce a grocery list.

I … what … ohhhhhh.

The theory that Allosaurs (and by extension other large carnivorous dinosaurs such as the T.Rex) were largely scavengers and not predators is belied by the fossil record, which shows that they occasionally had fatal encounters (for them) with stegosaurs. A few years back, paleontologists found part of an Allosaur that had gotten hit in the crotch by the thagomizer. (Have they settled this question of predator vs scavenger yet, or are they still arguing about it?)

And today I see a tweet that an Allosaur has been found that survived a similar encounter, because a fragment of a thagomizer was found embedded and healed over in the Allosaur’s pubic bone.

How do they know it wasn’t a mild mannered Allosaur and Stegosaurus with an attitude?

Allosaurus lived about 100 million years before Tyrannosaurus which is plenty of time for feeding habits to evolve from predator to scavenger if Allosaurus was indeed a predator.

It seems they have mostly settled it in favor of T. Rex being a predator.

This National Geo author seems to state emphatically that T Rex was both scavenger and predator.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/time-to-slay-the-t-rex-scavenger-debate

No mention of the effects on the people who breathed that shit.

Cute. :grinning:

One of my bros flew off a Nimitz class carrier for few tours. Really.

He used to bitch that their quarters were in the space between the underside of the flight deck and the ceiling of the hangar deck. So between maintenance work going on below, and airplanes and catapults and vehicles and such above, there was loud banging and roaring and thumping noises 24/7. So sleep was always difficult.

But a few decks down, where they stowed all the soda and canned goods it was always quiet; eerily quiet. He really wanted them to turn that around. Put the soda where it’s noisy and the bunks where it’s quiet. Seemed sensible to him.

Little did he know it was actually @velomont’s plan trying to prevent the ship from capsizing. :wink:

The humble musk ox produces a fine wool called qiviut. It is of exceptional quality, softer than cashmere and stronger than any sheep’s wool. Unfortunately, you’ll likely not see too many qiviut sweaters for sale; it’s incredibly expensive, as the animal cannot practically be sheared live and the musk ox has to die to cough it up. A well made qiviut sweater will run you a few thousand dollars.

If you ever go on a cruise, always make sure that you get a cabin surrounded by other cabins. You really don’t want to be under the running track or a restaurant, next to a lift motor, or within hearing distance of the stage.

Good advice.

I’ve been on one sea cruise. We happened to be issued a cabin that was at one of the high vibration spots on the ship. Cabins above, below, and on both sides. But as you walked the corridor you could feel the amplitude of machinery vibration growing from none to little to some to a bunch. Peaking right at our door then declining to imperceptible as you continued along the corridor.

It didn’t much bother me; I sleep on airplanes a lot. But wife had a real hard time with it. The ship was built in France so she re-christened it “Ze Citroën of ze Seaz”.

Haven’t cruised since mostly as a result of that unhappy little sleep deprivation exercise.

P-38 Lightning found under nearly 300 feet of ice in '92 was disassembled in situ and brought up piece-by-piece then reassembled and restored to flying condition.

This is an excellent documentary about the attempt to recover another aircraft.

I just an hour ago started listening to Dead Wake, the story of The Lusitania. The ship was fast and luxurious, but that didn’t stop the hoity-toity passengers complained that in the cabins under the “public typing suites”, the noise of the typewriters was annoying.

Carl Norden (of bombsight fame) was a classmate (Zurich’s Federal Polytechnic School) with Lenin.

Brazil’s northernmost point is closer to Nova Scotia than it is to its southernmost point.

The term “banana republic” was coined by writer O. Henry when he was on the lam in a banana republic. William Sydney Porter was in Honduras escaping extradition for embezzling funds from a Texas bank. There, in 1897, he described a banana republic in a short story published as “Cabbages and Kings”,

“Cabbages and Kings” was a book length novel made up of short stories (probably that was all the author was able to write).

Dracula’s Castle is offering free COVID vaccinations.

Really

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/dracula-castle-covid-vaccination-center-scli-intl/index.html