Tell Yahoo! to stop the pop up ads.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3039902#post3039902

Aslan, there IS no other site that has all of the services that Yahoo! has. That’s the problem. I would go to another site, but Yahoo! has it all. THEY are innovative, not me, as far as the internet is concerned. I would compete with them if I could, but Hotmail and MSN can’t even compete. And they have Bully Gates backing them.

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions. Thank you, but I already know about these different options. Apologies for the rudeness, but I’m not an idiot. These options aren’t what the OP was about. By the way, the filter we use at work doesn’t block pop-ups. It blocks the ad inside the pop-up, but it doesn’t block the pop-up window itself. What use is that? Maybe the I.T. guy just hasn’t set it up correctly.

If I made a mistake in posting a “Sign this petition, dammit!” thread, I apologize. I didn’t know that they were a no-no. Slap me on the wrist for not reading the FAQ thoroughly. Or punch me in the face, if you are really mad at me. I might go to the next Houston-Dopefest. :smiley:

However, I don’t get the impression that you people are disagreeing with me because I broke the rules. You all must be pop-up advertisers, huh? Or you personally get your business or revenue by employing this technique. You’re certainly defending this rude and annoying practice enough. If pop-ups aren’t so annoying, then why would pop-up blockers be so popular? And if people are using blockers, filters and browsers that block pop-ups, then the advertising certainly isn’t getting to them. How effective is the advertising when your audience never sees it? Yahoo! should realize that and come up with another method of getting the advertizing out there. I know, pop ups are used “because it’s effective.” [size]Notice the quotes. I’m sick of hearing that mantra.[/size] But a lot of their target audience is made of people that WOULD and DO block pop-ups. Shoot! I think I’ve even seen advertisements on Yahoo! that promote pop-up blockers! Now THAT’s funny. They are LOSING revenue with pop-ups. I know, I know. Their revenues have probably gone up because of the pop-ups, but they could be reaching even more people by using another method. Don’t ask me what that method is. Yahoo! is the innovator, not me. And it’s the point of the thing. Pop-ups are beneath Yahoo!.

Enough of this arguing. We’ll just agree to disagree. I’ll use Opera at home and continue to live with the pop ups at work. Maybe I can block the adserver on my computer at work.
And I thought that Dopers were cool. grumble grumble
:smiley: