Tennessee Williams.....

I was prowling through the bio section in my local library and found a book called “Tom, the Unknown Tennessee Williams”. So I am think “yeah, I know about him. He wrote some plays and was an alcoholic and was gay and very promiscuous… so what?” Except I found that he was a lot more than just some sound bites.He lived with deep depression on top of being gay in a very ungayfriendly time. He had an abusive father and a sister that was diagnosed insane. He lived as a transient most of his life… even after he had money… always searching for someplace to be happy and someone to be happy with. Such a sad, torment person…
As a result of reading this I decided to dive into American theater and have reread “The Glass Menagerie” and am reading “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.”
Don’t have anything profound to say… just sharing some of my feeling at reading this book…

“The Glass Menagerie” has a fair amount of autobiographical material in it (I was “Jim, the Gentleman Caller,” in my senior production of it).

He is a pretty tragic figure in lots of ways. Truman Capote, too, in the end. Another talent who got caught up in alcohol and drug abuse and pissed everything away.

I suppose it is a sort of occupational hazard.

Or an occupational asset. His life probably gave him a lot of things to write about.

There’s a really different movie out there, * This Property is Condemned *. A 1966 adaption of Tennessee Williams’s one act play by the same name. It stars Robert Redford, Natalie Wood and Charles Bronson. Worth watching, IMO.