[Tennis] 2009 French Open

Damn, Rafa is out in the Fourth.

Many of my French friends add to that. They think Serena symbolizes America: fat, powerful and ignorant.

Total bullshit call and a real unsporting move by Martinez Sanchez, BTW. Serena was right to be disappointed and pissed.

So, will Roger use this gift to win the tournament? I’m still not convinced he can.

Nobody has beaten him at Roland Garros in three years other than Nadal. If I were a betting man, I’d be a’ bettin’ on him.

Does anyone else think Soderling looks like Gary Oldman?

He’s got it, I’m sure of it. I’m disappointed he couldn’t have won it from Nadal, though.

Wow. This, and Andy Roddick is still in it. All of a sudden I’m very interested in this year’s French Open.

I am definitely pulling for Roger Federer to pull it out now (which is far from a given). It’s difficult to overstate how difficult it is to win this tournament. Not only because of the competition (top-level players who’ve spent their lives on this surface), but the incredible grind of 5 sets of baseline bashing.

Pete Sampras, arguably the most dominating American ever, not only never won the French, he didn’t even come close. Andre Agassi, a phenomenal all-around player, only won it once, and he had to come back from 0-2. Michael Chang, out best clay courter in decadees, only on it once.

Federer winning would make history (again!), and frankly, I really can’t root for anyone else at this point.

P.S. Bit of trivia…prior to Sunday, Nadal had not given up a second set in any 5-set clay court match.

Define “close”. He wasn’t as close as Roger has been(3 straight Finals), but Pete did make the Semifinals in 1996, which is pretty good considering how suited his play was to grass.

I’m trying to think of the last upset that was as big as Nadal’s loss over the weekend. I came up with one or two of Sampras’ upsets at the US Open, like his loss to Jaime Yzaga, but Sampras didn’t win the Open every single year. This is absolutely Federer’s big chance.

The short version is, during a late round match, Justine Henin put up her hand (meaning “time out”) as Serena went to serve. Serena saw this and missed her serve. The umpire didn’t see it and called a fault. Henin refused to acknowledge that she’d asked for time. It was unsporting and a bullshit move, and Serena was justifiably pissed.

This has nothing to do with anything. They do have a reputation for pulling out of smaller tournaments if they are not healthy, and it’s true they don’t play as many tournaments as other top players. They don’t skip slam events unless they are injured.

Well, Thomas Berdych beating Federer at the 2004 Summer Olympics was quite a shock, considering Federer was really playing well that year.

Also, Adriano Panatta beat Borg at the 1976 French Open and went on to win the tournament, which was shocking.

… and then Federer needs five sets to get past Tommy Haas. I wonder if the occasion is getting to him a bit. He beat Nadal in Madrid, but based on what I’ve read he hasn’t been that great so far this tournament. In the quarterfinals he’ll get either Roddick or Monfils. Roddick has been unexpectedly good to this point, and a match of Roddick’s offense against Monfils’ defense should be good. Both have flaws that Federer should be able to exploit, but this tournament feels more unpredictable every match.

Sadly, I have not been able to watch much of the Open so far this year, but I did see this match, and I could not agree more. I could not believe Martinez Sanchez didn’t speak up and say “It hit me.” As far as I am concerned, that is blatant cheating, and she should be fined/sanctioned. Unbelievable.

Also, as McEnroe commented on, why the hell didn’t the umpire ask her if it hit her? Crazy. I’m not a big fan of Serena, but I really wanted her to win that match after that and I am glad she pulled it out.

I have been watching and my observation is that he is not playing his best. However, he still may be able to do it. His 2nd best is equal to others best.

And down goes Roddick, to Monfils, at 4 2 and 3. Sounds like it wasn’t even a contest. Monfils doesn’t have much on offense, but who the hell knows what will happen?

It was no contest, indeed.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m calling Monfils to beat Federer in the next round.

I vaguely recall an incident where one of them was somewhat injured/not 100%, but could have stuck it out, and did, until it was time for her to play her sister. She then withdrew, essentially giving her sister a bye. I think the commentators at the time put a little more of the blame on the father.

People used to accused them of that kind of thing pretty often. I never heard or saw a credible instance and I’ve chalked it up to sour grapes from players and fans.

Haven’t been watching the tennis but it sounds like a great tournament. I am definitely pulling for Federer to get his career slam and equal Sampras. From what I read of the Haas game the pressure may be getting to him and the opponents will only get tougher. Who is the best clay player left in the draw now?

Federer. At least he’s the only one who has made the French final three years running. After him I’d say it’s Del Potro. He should beat Rodredo, and that would make for his first major semifinal. Would he go further than that this time? Here are the QF matchups:

Robin Soderling SWE (23)
v
Nikolay Davydenko RUS (10)

Andy Murray GBR (3)
v
Fernando Gonzalez CHI (12)

Juan Martin Del Potro ARG (5)
v
Tommy Robredo ESP (16)

Gael Monfils FRA (11)
v
Roger Federer SUI (2)

No love for Andy Murray? Seems to me this could be his best chance so far to win a Slam, he’s playing well by all accounts but still has some potential to improve in the latter stages. He’s beaten Federer before but I don’t know what their clay court record is.