Tentative Agreement to end the writers' strike

NY Times story here. If approved they could be back at work Monday. The story said the writers can claim they got a better deal than the producers, as writers will get a percenage of online revenue and directors get some kind of flat fee. Personally, I have no idea who got a better deal.

I’m glad it’s nearly resolved, and good to see that the writers seem to have won on most of their key issues. Maybe someone with more info can come along and fill us in.

Though it’s too bad this will probably mean the Academy Awards show will run normally – I HATE those crappy awards shows. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I’m not sure who won either. No one got everything they wanted, which is how negotiations work, so it seems strange that the writers would strike for only the make or break portion they feel entitled too. Ultimately, the writers get a 3 percent a year pay increase but gave up on getting a portion of the DVD sales for an Internet percentage.

Still…
'As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they’d had as individuals with the studios".

I can’t help but think the writers got boned.

Here’s an interesting take from the inside (from the striking writers’ unofficial myspace blog): Myspace Blog