Terrell Owens are they really serious about the Hall of Fame?

I’m not a football stats guy. I’m not that big a fan of football. I watch mostly college and even then it’s just to enjoy the back and forth of the game.

I saw TO play quite a bit when he was with the Eagles and Dallas because those are teams I often watched back then. Especially when Parcells coached Dallas. I was really hoping he’d turn things around. That’s when I really began to see TO play.

To be fair, TO is one of those guys that just gets into trouble. You could count on him to do or say something stupid and controversial off field every season. Nothing serious enough to get him banned or anything. Just a regular drumbeat of screw ups. He managed to get himself booted off one team after another. He was too disruptive and a distraction. He wasn’t worth the headaches.

There are a lot worse ex players in the HoF. Personality isn’t a qualifying requirement.

So your first thought wasn’t, “I wonder if he was any good?”, it was “All these guys that clearly know a lot more about football than me must be wrong.”

He should get in with an asterisk. *

[sub]* complete douchebag[/sub]

Not at all. I asked a question here to get feedback from other fans. Does he belong in the HoF? Everyone has said YES. I got my answer then. Fans here (admittedly a small sample) think he deserves it.

I’m not arguing the point at all. I won’t waste my time wondering why and WTF when he eventually does get in.

Jerry Kramer first. Then maybe T.O.

One thing that puts a lot of great receivers of the past at a disadvantage is just how explosive and dominant passing has become in the NFL.

Paul Warfield was a Hall of Fame receiver in his day, and he deserved it. But compare his stats to those of even an average starting wide receiver today, and Warfield looks absolutely pitiful! Even middle-of-the pack re eivers will ahve far more catches and more yards than Warfield did.

I believe Otis Taylor was a brilliant receiver who belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I saw him play, and I know how good he was. But his numbers look pretty feeble today.

I think Terrell Owens was a great receiver, but in the age of Megatron, his numbers don’t jump out at you.

Funny you should mention Tim Brown. No question he was an excellent player for the Raiders but I’ve seen some people say that Cliff Branch should get into the PFHoF before Tim Brown should. I guess that didn’t happen.

I guess I’m a little puzzled as to why someone would be amazed that Owens is being CONSIDERED for the Hall of Fame. I mean, of course he should be considered, he was a starting player for a long time who made a number of Pro Bowls. All such players should be considered.

True. TO belongs in the HoF for those who are not admitted cheaters abd Rice belongs in the other one. Since there aren’t two HoFs I would be perfectly happy to have both of these gentlemen there. They both belong there.

He is one of the best wide receivers in NFL history and deserves to be in, as well outlined by other posters already.

I have to take umbrage with some of your other remarks, and if they were truly earnest questions, then I remove my umbrage and reply as follows :

How so?

This has never been proven to be a suicide attempt. And if it was, how does that disqualify him from the Hall of Fame?

Again, where? I think the only argument you can make is Donovan McNabb, and in many ways, he was right to do so.

Nope. He was a FA when he signed with Philadelphia, who elected to not renew his contract (technically, a “cut” but he wasn’t “kicked off” the team as your question might imply to some).

After that, his skills declined and yes he was cut, mostly because he was old and sucked on the field at that point.

Not really. Now dont get me wrong, Im not claiming TO is Peyton Manning. Certainly his behavior was over the top in many situations. Hell, I remember being in a sports bar in 2006 giving the finger and yelling FU to TO on the big screen TV in front of an innocent looking married couple when the Eagles beat the Cowboys at home, but I was a fan and it took a while for me to realize that the Eagles SHOULD HAVE paid TO more after the 2014 Super Bowl but tried to play tough guy with him and it blew up in their face.

Where am I going with this-------phenomenal player. A bit nuts. But Hall of Fame worthy.

He accused his head coach of not trying hard enough to win. He took self-aggrandizing actions to celebrate his performances at the cost of his team taking penalties. He was suspended by his coach in San Francisco for conduct detrimental to the team. He was suspended in Philadelphia for conduct detrimental to the team. He yells at teammates on the sideline, he refused a trade, he hinted that Jeff Garcia was gay, he discusses his need to “feed his family”, as if the millions he got weren’t enough to accomplish that, he called his team classless for not celebrating him enough, he claims he was misquoted in his own autobiography, he fought with coaches, was late to practice, and he spit on people. If those don’t qualify as a distraction, I’m not sure anything would.

TO always had this attitude that got him into trouble. I thought of him as a whiner looking to blame others for his troubles. He blamed his quarterbacks, his coaches and probably the equipment room trainer for too much starch in his jock strap. ;). Dude put your head down and just do your fucking job. Channel that attitude and anger into aggressive play and scoring TD’s. If the public is dogging you shut them up by making great plays.

The really great players like Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Tony Dorsett, Emmett Smith, Mike Singletary were class acts on and off the field. I know they weren’t always saints. Whatever they did in private stayed out of the news. They made sure they said and did the right things in public. Tony Dorsett didn’t whine about Roger Staubach to reporters. Mike Singletary kept his mouth shut about Jim McMahon after a rare bad day.

If you are referring to Steve Mariucci, he got fired halfway through his last season so maybe TO was on to something.

The ONLY NFL player to ever do this.

Again, by Steve Mariucci, a dope as a coach.

He asked for a new contract after playing heroically in the Super Bowl with a broken leg, and the Eagles hard-nosed him, and he came to camp pissed off.

He’s passionate about winning.

Not quite; he disputed whether or not the 49ers could actually trade him to Baltimore. Again, the ONLY player in sports history who refused to be traded, TO was.

Well OK you got me there, Jeff is married to a Playboy Playmate and has 2 kids. :slight_smile:

Hey, Nobu is expensive these days.

Again, at least he is passionate

Damn ghost writers.

Again, the ONLY NFL player in the world to do this

I dont remember that but Ill take your word for it. Charles Barkley and others have done the same thing, and its not very nice.

I don’t get your point, russian heel. You asked for examples of how he is a distraction, and I gave you a whole list of things he’s done over his career. I don’t get why you’re making excuses for his bad behavior.

His point is pretty obvious: That Owens’ behavior was *not *exceptional, and that haters gonna hate.

I can’t speak for the Russian, but I’ll say this: there’s no contradiction between saying “Joe Schmeaux is a sphincter” and saying “Joe Schmeaux belongs in the Hall of Fame.”

I agree that Terrell Owens was a jerk, much of the time. I also believe he was a great receiver, and worthy of consideration for the Hall of Fame.

I believe OJ Simpson belongs in both the Hall of Fame AND on Death Row.

There’s no NFL rule that only nice people get into the Hall of Fame.

Right, the criteria are whatever the selection committee members want them to be. This isn’t baseball, which has stated criteria, the *majority *of which are character/sportsmanship stuff.

You’re talking about someone who starts, on average, about 500 threads a year on this message board. That’s HoF thread-starting numbers right there. You can’t keep up those sorts of numbers if you actually think through every topic before you post.

The short answer to this thread is: “If i had actually looked up the things that generally determine whether someone is a Hall of Fame football player, i would have seen straight away that Terrell Owens is probably a Hall of Fame football player, and that my own feelings about the guy’s personality are completely irrelevant to the people who actually know what the hell they’re talking about.”

Which is exactly what I said in this thread: " I’d never put him in the HoF of good people, but the NFL Hall of Fame? No question." I don’t see how making excuses for T.O.'s bad behavior does anything to contradict that.

The Baseball HOF? The HOF that inducted Ty Cobb? Who, when informed that the fan he was stomping on had no hands said “I don’t care if he has no feet!”

Owens is no Cobb, not in either sense, but he’s a good enough player to be a worthy HOF candidate.