Testing HTML character entities.

σ
Σ
ω
Ω

π
Π

é

They don’t work in preview. This is a bug and should be fixed.

The old vBulletin software didn’t support HTML character entities either, did it?

It isn’t a matter of support. All it would have to do is not replace all the &'s with &'s. The old version did no such thing.

Ã
Ä
Å
Æ
Ç
È
É
Ê
Ë
Ì
Í
Î
Ï
Ð
Ñ
Ò
Ó
Ô
Õ
Ö
Ø
Ù
Ú
Û
Ü
Ý
Þ
ß
à
á
â

Or, in other words, why do you need HTML entities?

Because not everybody has a Unicode keyboard. And anyway, everything you typed is found in the first 256 Unicode characters (extended ASCII). What about stuff beyond that, like everything in the OP except eacute?

You mean like, for example, Cyrillic? АБВГДЕЖЗИЙ …

How about some Chinese? Here’s a few picked at random: 昨晁映朱杠

Because we should be able to create posts that are OS independent. HTML doesn’t depend on any specific encoding, and the browser is able to decide what encoding makes sense in the current locale to display the entities.

It’s fairly stupid to make your posts dependent on anything other than vBCode and HTML.

I absolutely second Derleth’s position.

Ampersanded HTML “special character” entities serve both the poster and the reader.

Special charaters are extremely useful in mathematical threads, threads about Greek, Hebrew (e.g. Biblical linguistics) etc. and diagrams

Not everyone uses Windows, and Windows users may not use the American English localization, so cut’n’pasted characters may be displayed as different characters on their browser. This is an unnecessary problem, since all browsers handle ampersanded HTML just fine.

In fact, the board already uses ampersanded HTML – and that’s what causes the problem! It translates user-posted &s to the HTML equivalent “&”. In other words, the board uses it, but assumes I don’t know how and “corrects” my post to save me from myself.

Passing ampersands untranslated might occasionally confuse people who are not familiar with HTML/web conventions. This can be fixed by creating a “don’t translate” tag that doesn’t translate, e.g. [nofix]Λο&γσος[/nofix]. Ideally, this would be a checkbox option with a user CP setting, like “Show your signature”. It could default to “translate ampersands” = ON, and those of us who understand ampersanded characters could turn it off.

I also meant to say, it serves posters who do use several computers, and may not have the option of configuring each to their personal tastes (e.g. school labs or work computers). ℵ or α can be easily typed from any keyboard or configuration, and is easy to remember.