Texas Chainsaw Massacre: which one should I see?

There must be at least three versions of this movie, plus a TCM2 with Dennis Hopper. Which is most worth watching?

The original one is the only one worth seeing. There are several sequels, and the remake from last year isn’t too bad, but the original is by far the best and scariest.

Here’s a hint: guess why there are so many versions? Because the original is a masterpiece that a bunch of people came along and and wated to copy.

Okay, I’m going to rent the original and possibly the newest one this coming week.
It’ll be quite the film festival.

First one definately. And if you want a second version, watch House of 1000 Corpses. Not exactly close enough to be a remake, but if you like that genre, it’s pretty damn good. Of course, I’m a huge Rob Zombie fan. (Director)

And if you do rent Ho1kC, put the DVD in and let it load to the title screen. (Don’t hit a single button) The host will taunt you in the most amusing of ways! I’m laughing just thinking about it.

The original. Accept no substitutes.

Erm, let it load and sit for a few minutes, if you wait long enough you’ll see what I mean.

If you want to be horrified, watch the original.

If you want to feel like you’ve been kicked in the stomach repeatedly (both in the good and bad ways), get the newest remake.

If you want a good laugh, watch TCM2000 with Rene Zellweger and Matthew McConeh-whatever (the Wedding Planner guy). It was entertaining and had an odd twist at the end, but was not very good overall. In fairness though, I can never, EVER look at a DVD cover of The Wedding Planner without thinking of Matthew’s character in TCM2000.

I’d also recommend watching House of 1000 Corpses. It got a lot of bad reviews from horror fans, but I really enjoyed it. It certainly borrowed from TCM, but was creepy enough to stand on its own.

The original Saw has a weirdness quotient that just isn’t in the remakes or sequels, I felt the most recent one capitalized more on cheap shocks than the sublime horror of the first, and didn’t go into the family relationships as much at all(which is where the weirdness truly lies).

I was more annoyed than scared by the first, BUT I do recognize its importance & artistry, therefore, I do recommend it. I thoroughly enjoyed TCM 2 which actually developed the characters of the family, and gave us a kickass heroine & a prize Dennis Hopper crazed hero performance. Absolutely hated TCM 3 for totally changing the family w/o warning in spite of an excellent trailer (Leatherface hulking by a lake from which a cadaverous female arm juts to throw him an Excalibur-like chainsaw). 4 was utterly loathesome.

And the remake- I thought it was a worthy contender. AND how can I diss anything with R. Lee Ermey!?

In short- watch the original, Part II & the remake. You can safely ignore the rest.

And I’ve only caught the last half (twice) of House of 1,000 Corpses, and was thoroughly appalled at how wretched it generally was. But damn if it didn’t have some moments of brilliance!