Texit next! Who could complain about that?

True enough, you still got all the interesting and colorful states. Like Indiana. Nebraska. All that wheat.

Mock them for a bunch of Brit-imitating Anglophiles. Ask when they’re planning to petition to rejoin the UK, and if you can come over for afternoon tea and biscuits. Sing “God Save the Queen” at them.

Rejoin the UK?

Yes, I know that Texan territory was never actually part of Britain or its colonies, but it’s not like secessionists in general have the logical capacity to figure out the fine points anyway.

Egads, that thought just turns my stomach.

No, north of Bunkie. As Justin Wilson said, the Dixon and Mason line runs right through Bunkie. Cajuns are much nicer than most, and while there is a statue of a Civil War general or two in Lafayette, mostly Cajuns hid in the swamps during the war.

So vote against Texit, if you live in Texas. Otherwise, you are fucked.

As was their God-given right as citizens of a nation built by descendants of draft dodgers.

True, but the net effect has been positive so far.

Can we just build a wall around Bunkie, specifically? It’d be cheaper, and enjoy bipartisan support.

(I’m from Louisiana originally, and Bunkie was the rival high school most known for obnoxiousness. ;))

Texas did not get its reputation from people who went their and returned, it got its reputation from (a few, loud) Texans who came out to see the rest of the world. Texas had a reputation as a bunch of braggarts going back decades. (Giving a lot of people the impression that it was, (to use a Texan phrase), all hat and no cattle.) I have seen jokes playing on that theme dating back to WWII and before. I heard a number of people in the 1950s and 1960s who returned from visits to Texas expressing surprise at how nice the Texans were, given the fairly nasty and crude impression that some of their fellow citizens conveyed when outside their state. I am not sure where that developed. I would guess that it was a combination of attitudes conveyed in Westerns (movies and novels) that may or may not have been accurate, the state’s position for 115 years as the largest state, and a vague memory that somewhere in their distant past they had been their own country, that a few Texans insisted in promoting as badges of honor when they were outside Texas–not unlike the attitudes ascribed to New Yorkers and Parisians.
On top of that pre-existing attitude, recall that within a year of the SDMB moving to the internet from AOL, GWB began his “good ol’ boy” run for the presidency, often playing up his “Texan” background. In addition, with regard to the SDMB, there is the problem with the Texan state school board that sets the standards for all its school texts. The size of Texas means that many textbook publishers write with the intention of getting purchased in Texas, so that when the school board promotes fanciful history or attempts to dumb down science, it has the affect of dumbing down texts available to other states. Further, as a Bible Belt state, a number of violations of the separation of church and state appear there with a certain regularity. The state’s reputation has not been helped by some of its court-related behaviors: rushing to re-instate the death penalty after SCOTUS permitted it again, ordering one third of all executions in the U.S. since the 1976 SCOTUS decision, and the use of a system in much of the state of appointing judges’ friends to be capital case defense attorneys rather than creating and funding a professional corps of defense lawyers. (And, for those so disposed, the apparent worship of football, particularly in high school, does little to attract the approbation of some SDMB posters. :slight_smile: )

There is certainly much more to Texas and its citizens than the above mentioned issues and similar ones, but those probably influence the opinions of a number of Left leaning posters of the SDMB.

No need to be so reasonable about it.

You’re from Fort Worth, which is just the very edge of Texas. You can probably stay in the Union.

That is really interesting. It brings back a few scattered memories of, while traveling in Europe, seeing the occasional person in airports/hotels dressed in full cowboy regalia as if they stepped out of a Halloween party. Never seen anything like it on the street in the United States. I would wonder, who are these people? Maybe there’s a certain type of person who may or not actually be Texan, but enjoys hamming it up in other countries.

It’s not “reasonable” as much as it is disbelief that “there’s no way there are so many stupid people in one state.” It’s a form of mental illness, but don’t take that personally, since many people suffer from it. There really are that many stupes.

Um, wrong. Germans call their country Deutschland, not Germany. Dixit is will be the term…

I had to laugh at our local news tonight. The airheaded anchor said, “After Brexit, there is a movement for Texas to secede from the Union. But, will it be more difficult for Texas”?

Well, no shit.

It was a pun. Try pronouncing “Gerxit” with a soft “g.”

Look, they can’t all be gems. But this one must have really sucked if I have to explain the joke.

Weird. I thought this thread existed because there is a large actual organized public group of Texans advocating secession.

Way to spoil a perfectly good hate-fest … phaw … any one else we want to ditch?

Alabama, Mississippi, Florida.

Why do you want to keep the Carolinas?