Thank you for that "helpful" answer!

I’m definitely working that into my next chicken conversation.

Not just any chicken conversation… any chick conversation. See that trio of gorgeous supermodels? They’re talking about boring stuff like fashions and movies, and just dying to hear about your poultry. So sidle up, try to arch an eyebrow, and slyly intone “I got a pic of a pullet in my pocket…” I mean, what are they going to do, throw their champagne in your face?

Weak pitting.

Ranting over what an anonymous poster on another board said about your chickens is hardly worth the calories you burned typing out the OP.

Go on with your life and cluck no more.

Nah, I totally understand his frustration and irritation. Dedicated chicken boards are mostly full of crap. It’s difficult to find the pristine pieces of corn that hide inside the turds. There’s very little scientific or even reasonably educated answers because a bunch of yokels have “always done it that way.” Once in a while it’s nice to talk to someone who wasn’t born in Hooterville when it comes to raising chickens, you know?

Here’s an example–

Last year our bantam rooster got frostbite on his comb and I scoured the Internet looking for a remedy that sounded reasonable, something like putting antibiotic ointment on the wound and keeping it from refreezing, which is exactly what I found on the Michigan State University Vet School site. I mentioned something about it on a local board for farmers and was told that it would never work; according to one person, experience says you have to dip the comb into boiling peroxide. Seriously. And someone else said, “if you turn him upside down first it’ll confuse him so much he won’t even feel it.” What the fuck? I never went back to that board. (Twice-daily applications of Neosporin worked excellently, by the way, just in case anyone out there needs to treat frostbite in a rooster.)

This is what I’m talking about! Nothing is ever “right” according to the self proclaimed “experts”. And they appear to stalk you around the forum. Telling you how stupid/dangerous/inhumane anything you do is.

Thanks for the Neosporin tip. What breed is your banty roo? I have two Old English Game Bantam hens that take on and beat the bigger roos.

You might want to start a thread about chicken raising in another forum, maybe MPSIMS. You might get more helpful answers there than BBQ Pit snark. Whatever that pigeon egg forum is in, for example. It seems like you could talk about chickens all you want.

Yup, ours was an OEG banty as well. We had to cull him last July because he was literally killing my beloved OEG hen, Tiny Betty, and terrorizing anyone who came to visit. Alas, Tiny Betty was eventually killed by a hawk this past December, as was one other of the OEG hens. There’s one bantam left now – the rest of our flock are either Rhode Island Reds or ISA Browns. They’re good, hardy birds, nothing fancy, solid layers. I loved Tiny Betty, though, and it tore up my heart when the Murder Hawk got her. Those little OEG bantams have a lot of personality and Tiny Betty was especially sweet. I miss that girl a lot. :frowning:

(There’s something I never thought I’d write or feel – that chickens have personality. But wow, do they ever. Not a day goes by that I don’t laugh at something those feathery little idiots do. CHICKEN DRAMA! BOK! BOK! CHICKEN DRAMA! :slight_smile: )

EDIT: Good point, dasmoocher.

Something’s missing, all right.