"Thank You For The Replies"

Is it considered proper etiquette here to go back and thank everyone who answered your question?

I see this a lot, and I can’t help but think that the REAL motivation for doing this is to put their thread back to the top!

Thanks.

Would we even admit that bumping the thread back to the top is the ulterior motive that we have for doing this? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see what’s wrong with thanking anyone. I do it IRL, I do it here. Bumping it back up to the top is the last thing on my mind. However, showing a little bit of gratitude is.

I, for one, get a little irritated when I bother to go get links or post something to show support or post something from my line of work or experience, only to have the OP not acknowledge it.

There might be a little from column A and a little from column B. If someone has spent a large amount of time researching an issue for you I think it’s only polite to say “thanks for your trouble.” But at the same time IMHO it makes your post more relevant if you include some additional commentary along with your thanks.

e.g.
Q: “I read in the paper that Elvis was seen at a 7-11 in Tennessee, but I don’t remember which city. Which 7-11 was it?”
A: "Well in the Nashville News they said that some guy saw Elvis in Chattanooga on Route 11. (link)

Reply1: Thanksabunch.

Reply2: Well thanks for finding that for me. In the LA Times they didn’t say which city. I’m pretty sure the sighting was bogus, and Snopes has a whole list of fake Elvis sightings. (link)

I don’t see how Reply1 adds much to the thread, but I think that Reply2 is not a worthless bump.

Arnold, neither of your links works for me.

d&r

Link-'o-Fun!

:smiley: