“Thank you for your service”: here’s a reply. How do you reply? (Veterans, first responders, others)

I joined the Air Force in 1966 after I passed my Army physical as a precursor to being drafted. I had neither the desire nor intention of serving in Vietnam and the Army would have almost guaranteed that fate. Since being discharged in 1971, I have been thanked once for my service about 3 years ago by a young doctor I was seeing for the first time. I replied, “Well, it wasn’t by choice. It was either the Air Force or possibly dying in Vietnam.” The doctor nodded.

Apologies for my prior post which - although I was responding to a prior post - could legitimately be viewed as a threadshit.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s, when people in military uniforms were treated horribly. Mr VOW joined the Army in 1968, and retired in 1988. By the time he had retired, the general attitude had softened considerably.

Almost everywhere he goes, he’ll ask the vendor if they offer a military discount. Many places do. When he is given the discount, he’s often told “Thank you for your service.”

He’s one of those nod and smile guys.

“Thank you for your service” is a vast improvement from being ignored, spit on, or called a baby killer.

~VOW

Those are two very separate things.

VA disability isn’t great. Getting more is always a fight. If you have a rating of less than 50% and are a military retiree the disability payment is deducted from your retirement so it’s basically zero.

My father-in-law is funny. He was drafted and went to Vietnam. He didn’t see any real combat. He was an avionics tech for helicopters. He never mentioned Vietnam. My wife’s cousins had no idea he was even there. A few years ago he started wearing a Vietnam vet hat. Now he gets lots of thank yous. But when we are out to dinner he takes his thank yous and doesn’t even look at me. He was in for less than 2 years. I did 27 years and was deployed for OEF and OIF. I’m not looking for thanks and don’t wear army shit but I find it funny that he never reacts like I’m in the club.

That is odd-ish. Maybe he just thinks you prefer to keep your vet status private, so he’s careful not to bring you into these convos? Or maybe on some level he’s a smidge envious of you in some way (younger? more soldier-man? won “his little girl”?) and he’s showing off a bit to compete? (observational experiment: is he more likely to do this when you’re around?)

Not that it matters at all in the grand scheme of things, I suppose. People do things, don’t always know why.

I typically just nod and/or say thanks and move on. I never liked when people say that to me, but it makes them feel good, so I’m not going to be a jerk about it.

I don’t either. It’s definitely awkward. I used to say simply “Thank you”, but I think that “Thank you for your support” is better.

I would never tell a random stranger who appears to have served in the armed forces anything like thank you for your service. I don’t know them their service history or how or where they served.