Thank you SDMB. You've saved my sanity.

I am beginning to think that the entire purpose of EMAIL is:

1. send really bad jokes to people that really are not that funny.
  2. perpetuate urban legends and myths that one would think someone with a room temperature IQ could spot as a phoney a mile away.

Apparently, I am wrong. It just blows my mind how many seemingly normal and intelligent people will believe everything thrown at them.

I just received an email from one of my cousins by marriage that was an email chain letter get rich quick scheme. This totally blows my mind that HE would even think this was remotely true. In another situation a year or so ago, his brother in law ( my cousin) actually called Disney about the free stay at Disney scam that circulated a while ago. I mean, fercryin’ out loud. It’s enough to make we want to start a Ponzi Scam within in my own family tree.

Even before I discovered SDMB or the brilliant Cecil Adams ( which was before I had a computer or knew what the internet was) I would not have fallen for crap like this. I would tell whomever was sure that Richard Gere had once had a gerbil shoved up his ass because a friend of a friend told him so, that until real validation was offered, they were full of shit.

Of course, I’m viewed as the BAD COP because I have the ability to think for myself and disseminate crap from facts and, more importantly, the ability to articulate (for the most part) why it is garbage. Sorry, my last name is not Lemming. Doesn’t that surprise you?

SDMB and it’s intelligent people and their wide ranging talents, skills and funky websights have made me, Shirley Ujest, a better person.

If my gratitude were dollars, every poster here ( including the Farrah Faucett in the bikinin one that always makes the Mock Election Polls.) would have a bucket of bucks at your feet for my thanks for being the honest, straight forward (and sometimes very funny) skeptics that I’ve looked for my entire life.

The early bird gets the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese.

We’re sorry. We didn’t mean to.

The best lack all conviction
The worst are full of passionate intensity.

::nonchalantly::
Huh? Oh, sure thing. You’re welcome.

“Wednesday the 15th - Chris made one of her rare good points today.”
Guanolad

Many of my friends and acquaintances seem to think that skepticism is a bad thing. It’s refreshing to mingle with a group of people for whom skepticism is a way of life.

I would say that skepticism on this message board is only outweighed by the desire to make smart-ass comments.

“If ignorance were corn flakes, you’d be General Mills.”
Cecil Adams
The Straight Dope

This is very true, but I think we’re just trying emulate our mentor, Cecil. See your sig Pluto, for case-in-point.

And one other evil thing e-mail is used for, the rapid distribution of viruses.

“A zebra does not change its spots.”
~Al Gore, 1992~

Hey!

Email doesn’t distribute viruses. Viruses distribute viruses.

:wink:

I agree, Shirley. My mom, who is a college-educated, intelligent person, believes anything anyone emails to her. Presumably because her friends (the ones who email junk to her in the first place) are also college-educated intelligent people. Maybe cynicism is bad (MAYBE), but a little bit of skepticism is a good thing.

~Kyla

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

My friend, who btw has an electrical engineering degree from Notre Dame, sent me and a whole slew of people the DisneyWorld (the first 2000 people who respond…will win a free trip…yada yada yada) chain letter, with a note attached, “We’ll all go!”

We still give her shit about it.

Ahhhh, I can hear Mr. Rourke now: Welcome to Skeptical Island…a virtual oasis in the insanity of the world.

Skeptical? Sarcasm? Where?

Speaking of things to be skeptical about…

Geezz Shirl, I thought I was the only one who got that from others… and if I even lightly mention that what they are reading may be right up there with the articles in the National Enquirer… I get all sorts of shit. It’s damn tough to be intelligent in a world of morons these days! Part of the reason I play blonde :wink:

I really try to be good but it just isn’t in my nature!

Ahhh,Dr. Jackson, you have found me out. To be sane, one must posess all their marbles and, anyone knowing me, knows, I lost them long ago.