Thanksgiving dinner for two

We’ve discussed the menu but I haven’t figured it out yet, as I’ve never cooked it for fewer than seven. We’ll likely be three this year.

I usually aim for one pie per person. But a Thanksgiving with only three pies seems so sad.

I’ll be having a Thanksgiving dinner for one.

I’m interested in hearing more about the overall menu and your leftovers recipes if you have the time to share.

Well, mostly we have turkey sandwiches.

But I mix up bits of turkey with stuffing, pour over gravy , then nuke. I make lots of extra stuffing.

I do have a special stuffing, I use sage sausage and shallots, not onions. Of course, a lot less shallots. Brown the sausage until no pink, add fresh herbs, shallots (you can add the shallots to the sausage and brown, but not necessary, the shallots must be chopped very fine.) Add celery, butter, and chicken broth as per directions on stuffing package. Mix in large bowl or pot. Stuff bird, bake the rest with the gizzards and neck on top.

My only recipe is turkey carcass soup. Take your carcass, then disassemble, stripping off any meat you find. Put herbs and some salt in a BIG pot. Boil those bones- and little bits of skin, the ends of wings, the neck, whatever. Get to a boil, then simmer for up to 4 hours, 3 is Ok, 2 is minimum.

Strain, toss the bones and all that. Dont pour the broth out! If you happen to see any larger bits of meat, sure grab them and toss back.

Add back the meat from step one, and your favorite grain- I prefer barley but rice is fine. Simmer until grain is almost soft, then add carrots and potatoes, simmer until they are soft. Add salt to taste. Pepper, sure.

You will get raves. The bone broth has a wonderful taste.

The Menu is

Turkey

Yukon gold potatoes

Broccoli, lightly steamed

Stuffing

Gravy made with drippings, using the packaged stuff as thickener.

One hint on the bird- whatever temp the instructions say, make it 50 cooler- say 300. Put bird in breast down, cook for 2/3 time. Turn bird over, turn up to 50 or 25 over, say 375, cook rest of time, Baste a little. This makes the breast moist. Best baste is melted herb butter.

Same here: Jimmy Dean, to be precise. Then I add more sage or poultry seasoning and use fresh bread, rather than hard croutons. I usually try to think ahead and make some stock with a turkey leg or two, and add some of that to the stuffing. The wife likes chestnuts, but I can take or leave 'em. Celery is a must.

We’ll probably do Thanksgiving for 3. If my mom is well enough to come (she recently broke her pelvis, and who knows what will happen) we may quarantine for 2 weeks, and have her over, too. I plan to do most of the thanksgiving shopping tomorrow.

We ordered a heritage turkey from the local farm, so I guess we will cook that. Probably mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, brussel sprouts, canned cranberry jelly, and perhaps an apple pie and an apple cranberry pie.

When I did a fourteen-day water fast, bone broth made from the Thanksgiving turkey is how I broke it. It makes a phenomenally rich broth, so flavorful with salt and pepper, just by itself.

What makes something “bone broth” rather than just “broth”?

(My chicken broth is always made mostly with leftover bones. But I’ve never heard of bone broth until recently)

I don’t have a good answer, but mine was made from cooking down the bones not for 4 hours, but 48, so I figured that’s why it was “different”. But it is probably still just “broth”.

This is a pet peeve of mine. There’s no difference between bone broth and broth, but marketing companies have made everyone think “bone” broth is different and better for you. If it’s broth, it’s bone broth (unless, I guess, you’re making broth from bouillon cubes, and they’re probably made with bone marrow too). If broth isn’t bone broth, they didn’t make it right. Sad that so few people cook that they don’t realize they’re paying extra money for broth because the word “bone” was added.

Yes, it is wonderful. I dont put in chestnuts, I dont see what they add, but if they are in there, OK- same with mushrooms. Yes, celery is a must. Try my idea of shallots instead of onions- about one medium shallot per bag of stuffing.

It is simmering the bones for hours. 48 is really not necessary, but several hours is best.

No, some people make the broth from meat. Nice flavor but no richness.

I’m saying (above) that marketing depts imply that their company’s “bone broth” is somehow different than their last year’s “broth”, when it’s the same thing. I’m not remarking on what you are doing or what some other home cook is doing.

I might do this again:

Last turkey I cooked, I broke it into quarters and bagged them, and cooked the frame ahead of time in the pressure cooker. Night before, I cooked the leg quarters at high T in the water bath, dropped the temperature, added the breasts. I finished them all under the broiler.

But I also had many sides and seven pies. That seems overkill for three, so I’m going to have to make hard choices.

Several local restaurants have premade dinners for take out the day before. One offers a meal for one, but it’s all white meat and my wife likes dark meat. So we plan to order one of them while cooking a small turkey in addition. That way, we get the sides, and you can’t have too much turkey as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve no idea. My Wife and I will probably travel the 100 miles to my Moms house. We have in the past just ordered a pre-made dinner from the grocery store because it just became to much to cook while trying to visit and have fun.

I see my Mom nearly every weekend as it is. She is 91 years old and I take her to her doctors appointments. She has some problems. I’m on the road a lot.

A ham steak, some scalloped potatoes and green beans sound fine to me.

Hang in there ThelmaLou.

If my mom decides to go to my nephews house, I’ll be having pizza and beer.

If she doesn’t, we’ll either order take out Chinese or a nearby upscale restaurant has a to go dinner with organic turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, GB casserole, cranberries and rolls.
I just hope they’ll sub out the cranberries, as I don’t like them and she’ll only eat the canned gelatinous stuff.
I would also make pieroghis, because they’re required.

Technically, “bone broth” is stock. Stock is made from bones and a mirepoix of veggies. Broth is just any liquid that meat has been cooked in. I have no idea what goes into commercial “bone broth”, or if there is even any federal regulation pertaining to calling it that.