That effing Philadelphia-area accent

“Home” is “hooooooooome.”

“Phone” is “phuuuun.”

“Hoagie” is “hoooooagie.” (And it’s a sub, anyway.)

“Water” is “wooder.”

“Greasy” is “greezy.”

“Eagles” is “iggles.”

I’m not saying the accent is a sign of inferiority or stupidity or any such thing. It just jars me SENSELESS.

This is bound to win you some friends!

“Iggles” and “greezy” are Pittsburgh accents.

If you’re going to pick on my home state, pick on the right side. :wink:

I see that and raise you a good blue-collar Boston accent. Its the most effective birth control in the world in my view.

Dream faster, punk.

But Pittsburgh is on the left side.

And just where are you from so we can mock you til my voice goes out?

Now if you’ll excuse me I can to get myself a nice tall glass of wooder call my dad on the phuuun and tell him how are Iggles are gonna beat up on them Hawks.

-Wolfian, South Jerseyan

I have family in Pennsylvania and a couple years ago, my youngest cousin on that side came to visit and stay with us in Tennessee for the summer. Her accent was … odd. I don’t really remember much three years later but I do remember giving her more than a couple befuddled looks when she talked to me.

My favorite was youse guys. What the hell’s a youse? At least the Southern y’all and ain’t make sense as contractions although I use neither.

…and before the inevitable happens: my own accent is very slight – I’ve not once had anyone comment on my accent since moving from Tennessee over a year ago unless I myself brought attention to it – and I don’t use very many Southern colloquialisms either.

So n’yah.

“Bawl’mer.”

“Youse guys” is found in a few Northeastern cities, I think.

She was obviously not from western PA or it would have been “yinz guys”. Which is only right and proper. :smiley:

Ditto. And howsabout DundAWK.

“Youse” is found all over Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, in my experience.

“Youse” is also found in New York. It’s the plural of “you”.

One of my friends in high school said it a lot and it bugged me. Once, when she asked me, “Are any of youse guys going anywhere after here?”, I said, “No, weeze guys aren’t going anywhere”. :stuck_out_tongue:

In other words, don’t mess with Pittsburgh. :wink:

You won’t find it in Pittsburgh. People in western Pennsylvania say ‘yinz’ with varying accents. Northern parts of Pittsburgh are more partial to the ‘yinz’ pronunciation, whereas if you travel further south of Pittsburgh, into Washington, Westmoreland, Fayette and Greene counties, you will hear ‘yunz’. As you approach the West Virginia border with Pennsylvania along Fayette and Greene county, the pronunciation changes subtly to ‘younz’.

Our dialect may be strange, but it is ours, and because of it we can identify a Pittsburgher or a someone who is from ‘Da’Mon Valley’ anywhere in the world, and often tell which part of the Pittsburgh area they are from by both their pronuncation of ‘yinz’ and their pronunciation of ‘Pittsburgh’ itself, where the two distinct variations are ‘Picksburg’ (south) and ‘Pissburgh’ (further north).

‘Youse’ and ‘Youse guys’ start happening as you travel eastward toward Philadelphia.

Thank goodness I’m from California and don’t have any of those silly accents the rest of you all have! …

What?

Like, seriously, shut UP dude! :smiley:
This past summer I was visiting family in “Chi-caaaaaaaa-go” and they were all making fun of how I speak. I was like, "Wow, I’m being mocked by the people who say…“Oh, that’s Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute,” “Yeah, tomorrow we’re goin to Wiscaaaaaaaaaaaaanson,” and on and on. It’s a movie, not the show. It’s soda, not pop.

Yay for Boston accents- they’re wicked retahded. ← My friend has been at MIT two quarters and has already picked this up. :smack:

“Yinz/yunz/you’uns” extends as far east as Altoona, at least. In Altoona itself (native that I am), it’s the official second person plural.

Which pronunciation do you use out there? (Well, not you, but your neighbors, etc.)

I have driven through Altoona many times, but have never actually stopped there for any length of time.

Out here in Lancaster? I’ve definitely heard a very slight “youse”, although it’s more like “yuz” or “yiz”. Of course, in this area, there’s the complication of massive holdovers from the PA Dutch accent, as well (like using “a while” as “now” (supervenusfreak is egregiously guilty of this one)).